What Does Everyone Think Of My Balls ? (Fly Trap Balls)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Every summer here in SE Georgia we get overrun with yellow flies. For those of you that are unfamiliar with them or their bastard cousins the deer fly, I would rather lock myself in a small room with billions of hungry mosquitos than just one yellow fly! Anyway, I make my own fly traps that seem to only trap yellow flies. Thought this might help someone else ease the suffering. Blow up beach balls, use black paint on the parts that aren’t dark colored and coat em in this stuff called Tangle-Trap. Hang em from a string on the porches every year for the last 5 years. Every year I note a growing decline in harassment from those spawn of satan;)image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like a good plan. We buy similar traps for clothing moths, though I think their prevalence has something to do with warmer temperatures that don't kill them off in the winter. We have a little wooden "house" with a hole in it that invites carpenter bees to get stuck in a jar below the house because they can't get out, and then they expire. If I could conduct each of these critters to a place far from my house, I would, but I keep trying to kill them instead. We fight off ants in the house from time to time, with little traps that seem to finish off the colony. The inevitable large roaches get the same treatment, sometimes successfully but often not. Some species of roaches don't exist without populations of people; others are adapted to the wilds. Sometimes I think I get better results with a fast foot stomp than the Combat or Raid traps. You get rid of them, or there are more and more.

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I tried very hard not to open this thread. But couldn't help myself anymore.

Those are awesome! And much better looking than the damn ugly yellow strips! Great idea!

Wait...do they work for mosquitoes too?
It has 2 things going on that attract only yellow/deer/horse flies. That would be the dark color and the movement of them gently constantly moving in the shade. For skeeters I would imagine there would have to be some other kind of attractant that they use to find prey. CO2 or some kind of chemical? Wish there was an easy way to trap mosquitos cause I’d have that also!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I need something for common houseflies. They’re terrible outside this time of year. I try to swat as many as I can when I’m on the porch, so that they don’t get in the house, but if you kill one, ten come to the funeral!

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
These seem like mosquitoes on steroids, glad we don't have them over here. Horse flies are bad enough as it is, hate those beasts.
Yessir, they are like small, high speed, less stupid tactical horse flys! You think there are 4 or 5 of them but they hit you so fast and repeatedly but it’s just 1 and you don’t even feel them on you till it’s too late.......I hate them:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.