What Do You Think This Eltang Will Go For???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Cool pipe. Bid started at .01 and now over $1500. As I once said about a desk (not real fancy either) that sold for $100,000.00,I don't give a DAMN who made it, I want to be friends with the guy who bought it ! ;-)

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Cool pipe. Bid started at .01 and now over $1500. As I once said about a desk (not real fancy either) that sold for $100,000.00,I don't give a DAMN who made it, I want to be friends with the guy who bought it ! ;-)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishn', those are some magnificent Eltangs, works of art to smoke. Like firing up some GLP in a Matisse. Whoa.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Well I got kicked to the curb. Would rather have a Freedom Arms 83 at this point.

Still, that is my favorite pipe of all time that I have never seen/held in person.

Eltang fan boy to be sure

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
A few more hours to go. Can't believe 44 people have bid it up so high. $1700 now! I'm not a horn kind of guy but I DO love that bruyere. Wow. Ultimate Birdseye. But I would never bid on it until the last seconds then it is every man for himself. Top bidder wins. But why show anyone you are that interested in advance?
Taking bets on how high it goes! I am guessing right around $2250 is my guess.
Let's get bigpond in here--- closest guess and maybe he will give us a bag of his stashed weed!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
$2,500.00

I would have gone to $1,750.00 as I mentioned.

Seriously, I will get a Freedom Arms .357 now that I am off this one.

Have one picked out.

I think the pipe is perfect except the bowl coating, which is an easy fix.

Whoever gets it, God Bless them.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Aha! I originally was thinking an even $2200 but upped it to $2250 thinking it looked better. Quick! Someone send me an 8-12 ounce bag of Esoteria!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
So, if the bidders identities are set to "private", and the bids are automatic, how do you know you aren't bidding against the seller using an alternate account?
I don't eBay much and this is not a commentary on the seller on this auction, just a general question.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That is a point I've never considered. I suppose that could happen. I cannot think of anything that would definitely stop that. But I suppose that if the seller ultimately bid you up he runs the risk of outbidding everyone and winning his own auction, and ultimately would not sell his pipe.
Might be a good question to ask eBay directly.
But as to the bids being automatic, that is only if you choose to do so, with the highest bid set by what you are willing to pay.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I don't think Coopersark employs tha process, a least I've never seen any pipe that he's sold show up with him being the seller, didn't have the scratch or I would have placed a bid for $2250 but that doesn't mean I would have won.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I don't think Coopersark employs tha process, a least I've never seen any pipe that he's sold show up with him being the seller, didn't have the scratch or I would have placed a bid for $2250 but that doesn't mean I would have won. Toobfreak were you the winner, if so congratulations.

banjo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, if the bidders identities are set to "private", and the bids are automatic, how do you know you aren't bidding against the seller using an alternate account?
I don't eBay much and this is not a commentary on the seller on this auction, just a general question.
It's a very good question, to which the short answer it, you don't know. And shill bids have been an issue in the past and have been a topic of conversation. I've never heard it applied to any of Coopersark's auctions, and given his well established status within the pipe community over a number of years, don't see why he would need to stoop to what amounts to fraud.
In general, the possibility does exist. eBay is vast, far beyond their ability to patrol what goes on.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for commenting folks. I've read many positive comments about the seller and my inquiry is not related to him, but rather the private bidding process. I've looked in to this just briefly but I haven't been able to identify any additional protections that may apply to private auctions, so I assume there is none (beyond what eBay offers for all auctions).
Clearly, he's known by collectors as a trusted and reliable vendor and I'm sure the reputation has been well earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.