What Do You Think of This Skull/Dragon Meer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've have another pipe from this carver and have been looking at this one:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I like the overall look and finish and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure of where the dragon's face meets the skull. That being said the carver offered me a hefty discount so now I don;t know what to do.
What do you guys think of the look?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I'm not sure of where the dragon's face meets the skull.
I'm having the same reaction.
Strange beak/snout on the dragon, too. And then there's the scale issue...I'd like it better if it was just a dragon's talon holding a skull.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since you asked, I like Meer as a material most definitely. I think that if you like the design and it smokes well then you would get plenty of use out of it and it would serve you well.
But when the pictures first came up, I thought it looked like the skull was picking its own nose. It also looks to be carved from maple sugar candy.
But its not my money. If you like it go ahead and enjoy your purchase.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think that if you're having second thoughts about it, then you should wait until you find one that really jumps out at you, no questions asked :puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Looks a little rough to me. What is the white-ish looking stuff on it? Un buffed wax???...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I thought it looked like the skull was picking its own nose.
I think I'm going to pass since at least one other person thought this besides me. I'm wondering if the carver left it attached to give it strength/rigidity and help prevent breakage.
Some of the other comments are good but highlight a difference in others tastes and mine. I see a slightly higher/better level of carving quality than what I typically see in a $120 meer. Also I think the wax finish gives it an antique-y look/feel that might look fantastic down the road as color develops.
Just can't get past the mining for nose gold aspect though.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Well, it's different if nothing else! Of course,
scale issue
that. Absolutely more eagle-looking than dragon. But if the discount is good enough I'd say jump on it. If not, well, there are a lot of other nice fish in the meer sea. :)
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After a certain age, there's no need for reminders of mortality that were scintillating in ones younger days. I focus on pipes that bespeak pleasure and life. However, I do like a good dragon now and then, they're being an endangered species and all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose it might be appealing if one likes "ham fisted" (amaturish) carving. I prefer delicate cuts with much detail. And "figural" pipes should have recognizable figures. To each his own though. And, surely, you've got to be kidding with regards to liking the artificial color. I won't comment on the serious lack of proportion.
Olkofri nailed it! I'm thinking you are just pulling our legs with your OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.