PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I found this on the internet ... what do you mean the pipe tobacco that he can inhale? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? The pipe experience is one thing, and the cigarette another.

philip morris add.jpg

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Those ads were common in that time frame. The reality is that some pipe smokers inhale. Some regularly, some occasionally. Of course, many do not inhale.

Every pipe smoker has their own methods of enjoying the pipe. No way is really a wrong way.... it is all about what the individual likes. Of course there are different effects and potentially different ramifications of the various choices, but that is really outside of this discussion.

Also, in another way, the ad is a reflection of its time. A lot of fellows who came back from the war in the 40s and 50s were used to the free cigarettes they received as part of their rations. The ad reflects the idea of the time that many wives were of a mindset that they would rather their husband smoke a pipe instead of cigarettes.... be it because of a sense of “sophistication” or a more pleasant odor or for a myriad of reasons.... the ad suggests to a suggestive wife that this route may work to get their husband to switch to a pipe.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Those ads were common in that time frame. The reality is that some pipe smokers inhale. Some regularly, some occasionally. Of course, many do not inhale.

Every pipe smoker has their own methods of enjoying the pipe. No way is really a wrong way.... it is all about what the individual likes. Of course there are different effects and potentially different ramifications of the various choices, but that is really outside of this discussion.

Also, in another way, the ad is a reflection of its time. A lot of fellows who came back from the war in the 40s and 50s were used to the free cigarettes they received as part of their rations. The ad reflects the idea of the time that many wives were of a mindset that they would rather their husband smoke a pipe instead of cigarettes.... be it because of a sense of “sophistication” or a more pleasant odor or for a myriad of reasons.... the ad suggests to a suggestive wife that this route may work to get their husband to switch to a pipe.
Interesting hypothesis ... makes sens.

Reactions: Pierre1965

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To conclusively prove your pipe masculinity inhale a full-bodied cigar.

John Huston being interviewed by Dick Cavett inhaled a cigar.

I never inhaled either pipe or cigar but of course inhaled cigarettes. Last cigarette 09/13, last pipe 04/18.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smokers inhale, but mostly not intentionally and not in volume. Back when that ad was run, inhaling was a good thing, a way to fully enjoy a smoke and get the full charge out of the nicotine. Obviously, in another decade or so, the whole understanding of cigarettes, tobacco smoking, and inhaling changed completely, so this ad looks either comical or grotesque today. Looking back, we know what was coming.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yeah, that whole dont inhale pipe tobacco thing is over rated. Over the holidays there was another thread about not inhaling so I decided to prove those candy asses wrong by chain inhaling four bowls of the strongest, highest nic tobacco I could find, GH& Co Brown Twist as fast as I could. And I did prove them wrong because I did it! I just wish I hadn't chosen to do it on the front porch. And I just wish I hadn't chosen to do it on the day of my wife's women's Christmas party. And I just wish I hadn't passed out and soiled myself and that the women were the the ones who found me and woke me up. And I wish I hadn't burned a hole in our new porch. But I proved those candy asses wrong!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, that whole dont inhale pipe tobacco thing is over rated. Over the holidays there was another thread about not inhaling so I decided to prove those candy asses wrong by chain inhaling four bowls of the strongest, highest nic tobacco I could find, GH& Co Brown Twist as fast as I could. And I did prove them wrong because I did it! I just wish I hadn't chosen to do it on the front porch. And I just wish I hadn't chosen to do it on the day of my wife's women's Christmas party. And I just wish I hadn't passed out and soiled myself and that the women were the the ones who found me and woke me up. And I wish I hadn't burned a hole in our new porch. But I proved those candy asses wrong!
Maybe those blends were very low in nicotine? ?
I often inhale such as Old Dark Fired and 1792 Flake. Olive has a Maduro that I occasionally inhale.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I once proved that I could down 10 shots of tequila in under 60 seconds... won the battle, but lost the war in a spectacularly messy way. Ahhh to be a 20 year old soldier again!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine". Yeah, I've just found this out: I prided myself in drinking neat liquour: now that my oesophagus is killing me, I must top the martini with fruit juice. Maybe if I had always topped it, I wouldn't be suxed like this. Getting old sux; and I reckon many times we only hasten old age and illness through our recklessness.

I won't inhale pipes or cigars: nothing to prove.

Reactions: Pierre1965

Jabbur

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
Inhaling is a no for me. I was a cigarette smoker for almost 20 years and stopped smoking anything for almost 12 years until I found cigars and them pipes. I do want to preserve my lungs so I can smoke my pipes for a longer time :col: