PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Love it, hate it? Brilliant or boring...
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/michael-lindner/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=205494
Edit:

Sorry, adding a photo doesn't work the way I thought here.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It caught my eye, yesterday. Looks like a great pipe -- the stem looks really well made and I like the fishtail shape. Color scheme is nice. I really like it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I like it a lot. I like Lindners take on the classics.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
First thing caught my eye, Very nice pipe, but way overpriced. Fuss me, Cuss me but 800$ is a bit much , and this coming from a man who has spent more on a pipe. We have quite a few younger Carvers and a Older one on this Forum who can make you 2 for that price. Just my take.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
002-514-0135.jpg

Fine looking, too fine a price.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is a way to add photos to your post:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site such as Imgur.com, or a retailer with hosted images, select the image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste the URL into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Fit and finish are superb, I love the grain........but the shape doesn't click for me. I think the shank looks too "stout" in proportion to the bowl. I like a little more grace and a little less chunk........... :puffy:

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
That is a really beautiful well made boring ass pipe. I appreciate the craftsman ship abut, man, I'd pass on that pipe if it was a $20 basket pipe. I just don't care for the shape at all.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Funny, I like "boring ass" shapes. And I like that one. But I'm also a fan of Lovats in general -- fat or thin, doesn't matter.

May 31, 2012
I agree with the consensus.

Overpriced.

Although I do somewhat like it.
I like this one better:

002-514-0137_1.jpg

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/michael-lindner/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=205496
...but even that specimen, I don't love it, too much out of proportion with the overly thick shank combined with a too-skinny bowl, the golden ratio is way off balance.
It rarely works when a pipemaker tries to "tweak" a stonecold classic like the straight billiard, I realize that the makers are trying to be clever and stand out, but hey, some things are just perfect the way they are --- which is why Chris Asteriou is such a glowing example and should be a beacon light for those makers who are striving to win over stodgy old English pipe collectors.
Lindner has no worries though, he has a solid base of collectors and his asking prices are met. I think he deserves it after all the time he's put in. I like it that he's an x-punkrocker doing good.
I've been on the lookout for an estate of his for a while now, I'd love to have one of his "spider" stamped pipes just because it is no doubt the coolest stamp in all of pipedom, but they are $$$ even on the estate market.
His fishtail stems look to be amongst the best in the business and that's another big attraction for me.
I will have one of his classic blast'd billiards at some point,

it has been foretold,

for I have a tamper which is sending out silent prayers to summon the right pipe for good companionship.
The tamper he made is totally rad:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/briarlab-and-the-big-bad-goody-bag
BWJcqfO.jpg

TnQoJmR.jpg

DPBDJVa.jpg

GN8cZKD.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pricing is what pricing is; for me, it is prohibitive. All it takes is one person to pay $800, though, and all of a sudden the pipe is worth the price.
On the shape, I agree with Beefeater; the shank is too stout for me. I like a more elegant line on the shank on my straight pipes. In-fact, given the stoutness of the shank I'd lean a little closer to qualifying this shape as a Lovat and not a billiard.
This all being said, the lines of the pipe work well as a whole and I think that the proportions are excellent, if not to my personal taste.
I bet it sells, and I bet it is a wonderful smoker. By all reports, Mr. Lindner knows what he's doing.
-- Pat

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Nicely done, beautiful grain but I don't see $800 worth there. I'm inclined to agree with Nate at about $400."
^^^ This sums up my feelings. I like the stem proportions. I would get a Castello in that style. Something like this

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=189707

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
It's a smooth nicely grained lindner. Shape is not a driving force behind the price on this one I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.