PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I have 2 a bent apple and a bent tomato by P. Jeppesen. Both are great smoking pipes and fit my larger hands well. They do come with pretty good sized chambers so not useually a quick smoke. No complaints here.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I love to look at them. Some of them are pretty wild looking. I don’t own one. I’m a simple straight pot and billard guy, but I think I would like to own a wild beautiful pipe, maybe Christmas I buy one.

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I really appreciate this thread. I've had my eye on a couple recently. Your opinions pushed me in the right direction.

Sholastiker

Lurker
Aug 8, 2021
I use 20 (!) Jeppesen Neerup pipes and I use ONLY these pipes. I've sold all my other pipes via PayPal.com. I don't know no better pipe for a price between $100 - $200. Absolut perfect smoke, best bruyer quality and really beautiful pipes.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
I have one Neerup Structure churchwarden that I purchased because the style was a mix between wild and conservative. This evening I just ordered a classic smooth bent billiard that is just gorgeous. Looking forward to receiving it!3E2F7278-12ED-4BC5-8E5F-A572429F75DF.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 1, 2014
Be careful about bent models, I bought a $260 Churchwarden Stack that doesn't pass a pipecleaner through the shank.
Even with the stem removed there is no direct A-B line from the shank to bowl, to get a Pipecleaner through requires bending the tip and prodding around for a minute.
Unfortunately the airway in the stem on that pipe is also finished to 3/32" (2.4mm) at the button, which is pretty narrow, to be fair I've never seen anyone else drill out a Churchwarden stem to 1/8" but I have no idea why when 1/8" Aircraft drill bits are incredibly common and thus far (knock on wood) I haven't had a stem fail re-drilling to that bore.

My other Jeppesen is a straight shank stack (about $170), the stem is still just drilled to 3mm (standard for factory pipes), but the glued on tenon did fall off, and the friction on the tenon is a little loose.
I have no doubt Peder would have happily repaired the pipe at no cost but I just super-glued it back on to save the hassle.

Peder Jeppesen does make some very unusual shapes so some of the pipes have strong appeal, just don't expect it to smoke better than a Savinelli.

Reactions: Casual

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Be careful about bent models, I bought a $260 Churchwarden Stack that doesn't pass a pipecleaner through the shank.
Even with the stem removed there is no direct A-B line from the shank to bowl, to get a Pipecleaner through requires bending the tip and prodding around for a minute.
Unfortunately the airway in the stem on that pipe is also finished to 3/32" (2.4mm) at the button, which is pretty narrow, to be fair I've never seen anyone else drill out a Churchwarden stem to 1/8" but I have no idea why when 1/8" Aircraft drill bits are incredibly common and thus far (knock on wood) I haven't had a stem fail re-drilling to that bore.

My other Jeppesen is a straight shank stack (about $170), the stem is still just drilled to 3mm (standard for factory pipes), but the glued on tenon did fall off, and the friction on the tenon is a little loose.
I have no doubt Peder would have happily repaired the pipe at no cost but I just super-glued it back on to save the hassle.

Peder Jeppesen does make some very unusual shapes so some of the pipes have strong appeal, just don't expect it to smoke better than a Savinelli.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
I agree about being careful with bent pipes. That being said, I would never keep a pipe that didn’t pass a cleaner when I received it. The Neerup churchwarden passed a pipe easily when I purchased it.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
So now I have a conundrum. I received the Neerup pipe, which is absolutely gorgeous. I tried putting a pipe cleaner through, and it easily passed the mortise and tenon. Then, the cleaner got hung up in the shank. I took a closer look, and to my surprise, the drill hole is perfect in the bowl. Because of the slight bend in the shank, the drill hole and channel through the mortise do not align very well, and this was considered acceptable.

I have some time to think on this (one month return window). I believe I can fix this issue with a fine file, and some caution. This would allow me to smooth out the channel so there isn't a "shelf" for the cleaner to ram into. I have two other options. I could return the pipe, informing the seller or the problem, and the other would be to let the pipe cool after smoking, and remove the stem after each smoke for a cleaning. Not ideal, however based on the purchase price (relatively low), keeping the pipe may be in my best interest.

This situation is way better than another one I am in with a beautiful meerschaum I own. It is nearly impossible to pass a cleaner through the stem, which is unfortunate, and frankly, extremely annoying.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I had a blasted neerup structure bent brandy. I never had any issues with it. It was a great little pipe. I did end up selling it because I don't really enjoy a wide shallow bowl. I would buy another neerup if one caught my eye and had the chamber dimensions I like.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tried putting a pipe cleaner through, and it easily passed the mortise and tenon. Then, the cleaner got hung up in the shank.
You've confused me, the mortise is in the shank.

let the pipe cool after smoking, and remove the stem after each smoke for a cleaning.
Completely unnecessary. I've removed the stems immediately after smoking with no damage for years. The banding on that one should give military mount support and prevent any cracking if that's what you're afraid of.