What Do You Smoke When You’re In A Funk?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I haven’t really enjoyed, or even tried to enjoy a pipe in about a month. I smoked a couple bowls the other day and hated both of them, and dumped them at the halfway point. I’m in one of those low spots where it’s just hot, and humid, and I don’t want to mess with the whole process. Ordinarily I adore the breaking up, drying, packing, tamping, etc. but lately I just can’t seem to bring myself to do it.

If you’ve ever been in such a funk, what do you reach for to awaken your senses and bring you back to the wonderful land of pipedom? I’ve been cellaring like a madman, but I can’t bring myself to enjoy the fruits of my online labors. Help!

woodensmile

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
Seattle, Wa.
Besides the daily Hardships of kids and work I havent had the availability to just sit down and have a nice bowl. Im feeling the summer heat and just in a bit of a slump on the desire to reach for a certain blend myself. I have enough cellaring to wait and be satisfied in a more mild temp but man... I want to crack some tins, but sometimes just life gets in the way. Absence makes the palate grow stronger :)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It sounds like you're letting your troubles interfere with your smoking rather than allowing smoking to alleviate your worries. If that's true it might be difficult to enjoy lots of other things that wouldn't otherwise irritate you.

I'd say that if you take pause, and find a little perspective on whatever's troubling you, the joy of the little pleasures of life will return.

Put another way, it's tough to stop and smell the flowers when a bear is chasing you.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
A good way to get over a funk is just light a bowl full and point your web browser to a tobacco store. Spend the entire bowl reading different tobacco description and reviews. Maybe press the add to cart button on something you never heard of. Buy the tinned version and not bulk. For me the tin art and anticipation of popping the tin is a reward in itself. Add a pipe to your cart in a shape you never had thought you would try. 45 minutes after you lit your pipe you may or may not hit that check out button, but you might find you have really enjoyed that bowl. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.