What Do You Reach For When You're Looking For A Flavour-Bomb?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well since I'm too much of a pussy to smoke Cotton boll, what would you recommend? Id say the fullest tasting burley I've had would be HH Bold Kentucky. Since that is dark-fired burley, I'm assuming that is why the taste is so rich compared to something like haunted bookshop (which I realize is not straight burley, but pretty damn close)
Try Five Brothers if you haven’t yet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well since I'm too much of a pussy to smoke Cotton boll, what would you recommend? Id say the fullest tasting burley I've had would be HH Bold Kentucky.
BK's mostly Dark Fired and doesn't fair well in that high of a proportion, it loses something. More of a less is more kind of thing. I'd call it an all day smoke. Definitely give Five Brothers a chance as well as Cotton Boll. It's really not as bad as the stories say. Uhle's Perfection Plug would be another. You may just not be very sensitive to burley, I've seen that before.

Reactions: gervais and JOHN72

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
BK's mostly Dark Fired and doesn't fair well in that high of a proportion, it loses something. More of a less is more kind of thing. I'd call it an all day smoke. Definitely give Five Brothers a chance as well as Cotton Boll. It's really not as bad as the stories say. Uhle's Perfection Plug would be another. You may just not be very sensitive to burley, I've seen that before.
Well I appreciate the suggestions. I'll give five brothers a try

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.
2007 Esoterica Stonehaven
2012 GL Pease Navigator
2012 Peterson Irish Flake
2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
2012 Peterson University Flake
2012 Peterson Perfect Plug
2012 Solani 660 Silver Flake
2012 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
2012 Astleys no 44 Dark Flake
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

2008 EscudoTR

2002 Solani 633 TR

2012 Samuel Gawith St James Flake

2012 Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

These are just a few of my current flavor bombs. I am sure I can name others.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and gervais

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Montford Point Marines by C&D is for me by far the biggest flavor bomb, Latakia, Dark Fired and Perique, Reminds me of a spicy Billy budd on Steroids. to the point my tongue goes numb after a bowl. Also Bayou Night, Dark Plug...

Reactions: JOHN72 and gervais
Jun 23, 2019
1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.
2007 Esoterica Stonehaven
2012 GL Pease Navigator
2012 Peterson Irish Flake
2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
2012 Peterson University Flake
2012 Peterson Perfect Plug
2012 Solani 660 Silver Flake
2012 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
2012 Astleys no 44 Dark Flake
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

2008 EscudoTR

2002 Solani 633 TR

2012 Samuel Gawith St James Flake

2012 Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

These are just a few of my current flavor bombs. I am sure I can name others.

Damn so only those years huh? I have a 2013 Old Dark Fired, but it must be trash and flavorless. ?

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
It’s interesting that flavour bomb seems to predominantly equal a lot very strong blends in this thread.

I don’t often equate flavour with strength. Parallels in alcohol with wine/whisky as well. Some lighter ones have equally as much or even sometimes more complex flavours - just not as obvious.

Could that parallel be drawn to tobacco as well or is it merely down to the word bomb in the title?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It’s interesting that flavour bomb seems to predominantly equal a lot very strong blends in this thread.

I don’t often equate flavour with strength. Parallels in alcohol with wine/whisky as well. Some lighter ones have equally as much or even sometimes more complex flavours - just not as obvious.

Could that parallel be drawn to tobacco as well or is it merely down to the word bomb in the title?
My “nic bomb” list would be different, but with some overlap. After all, DFK and Perique are pretty flavorful, but add strength, too.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Depends on which flavor one is searching for. I find myself drawn to the more lighter aromatics but these are a few choices with a strong flavor & scent.

Dan Devils Holiday- fruit
Dan Buddies- Orange Tang
Rattrays Exotic Passion- Orange, Passion fruit
Dan Blue Note- dried fruits, berries

Star Of The East- nice mix of flavors

Reactions: gervais

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Skiff Mixture! Or Exotique, or Penzance if I'm lucky.
That's about as flavor-bombed as I get these days.

Reactions: JOHN72

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Talking strong in flavor and not nicotine...

Latakia - Quiet Nights

Oriental(less Lat) - Available: Balkan Supreme. Less available: Various KBV Oriental blends, WCC Simply Voriental.

Burley: C&D Burley Flake #1

Virginia: FVF

Lakeland: Dark Flake Aromatic, Ennerdale

Dark Fired: HH ODF

Unfortunately I haven't really found a super strong straight Virginia or Dark Fired blend that I'm in constant love with. Have plenty left yet to try that are ready to pop when the time is ready.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The biggest flavor bomb of which I'm aware, bigger than any lat bomb I've ever had, say Pirate Kake, bigger than Ennerdale, is Exotic Passion. Whatever goop it has in it sticks to the walls for days. Very cloying and very intense, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.