What Do You Know About This Dunhill Shape?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
After failing to find a Dunhill CK shape, I stumbled across a similar shape and bought it. I can't find any information about the history of the shape. It is shape number 460E and it also has the letter C as can be seen in pictures. It is a very small pipe, way too small for me. I'm going to sell it on and set aside the funds for the elusive CK, but it would be good to know something about the shape to add to the description. Any ideas? What could the letter C denote?
a1-600x399.jpg

b1-600x400.jpg

c1-600x399.jpg

d1-600x400.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
CK's aren't massive - exactly how small is that one? It looks lovely to my eye!

Dunhill used those odd shape numbers in the 70's, is it from that era?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
C sometimes meant complimentary and was stamped on pipes Dunhill gave away for various reasons.
The giveaway C pipes were over-stamped "not for sale" in addition to the letter, though.
P1010986.jpg

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
CK's aren't massive - exactly how small is that one? It looks lovely to my eye!

Dunhill used those odd shape numbers in the 70's, is it from that era?
It's exactly 5 inches long and just shy of 1 1/2 wide and tall and weighs 42 grams. How does that compare to a CK's size? Yes, it's from 1975.
So if the "C" means complimentary, but it doesn't have the not for sale stamp, could it mean something else? C for "custom" maybe? If Dunhill did odd shape numbers from the 70's that were not continued beyond that date, could the E in 460E be for "experimental" or something like that?
Could this shape be like a precursor to the CK shape, or made shortly after as an experimental smaller version? I don't know...just brainstorming.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipe with nice deep sandblast, and admirable proportion and balance. I'm not a Dunhill guy, but that is an attractive pipe for sure.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
C sometimes meant complimentary and was stamped on pipes Dunhill gave away for various reasons.
This is from pipephil.eu, "C" stands for "Complementary", so you were right. Just disregard their typo. :)
A beautiful pipe.
:puffy:

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
I thought "C" meant Churchwarden in /dunhill lexicon, but not stamped as large as this example....

Status
Not open for further replies.