PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Over the years various members point out what is happening in their area with regard to legislation addressing tobacco and/or smoking. Some even address that is happening across international borders, either commiserating with or condemning the choices made in other countries. So, my question is, "What do each of us do, in our own little part of the world, to protect against such legislation?"

I think we can do this, without hysterical political screeds, by simply answering the question. No justification(s) needed. No philosophy either. Just a simple, how are you participating in the process? Or, are you? Donations? Active support/opposition? Working for one side or the other?

Personally, I do little, other than financially (to limit legally acceptable) supporting candidates who favor favor my political philosophy.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I used to organize for a water protection organization.

One tidbit that stays lodged in my mind and motivates me to occasionally rattle the chains of the appointed/anointed is the contact ratio of constituent input.

Obviously, not everyone writes, calls or visits their reps. When you do call or write, the recipients usually estimate that for every call they get, there are another 100 voters who feel the same way that are too busy/lazy/ignorant to contact them.

This theory is across all issues and political philosophies. It the economy of scale. Or, as the sales people call it, the law of averages (talk to 100, 10 are interested and one will buy).

So do call, write or visit even if it "feels" useless, Besides boatloads of cash, it's the only thing that does work.

"Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." -Gandhi

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Support my local B&M as much as I can.

I might sign petitions to legislature, even though I know they're essentially useless.

When possible I try to educate people on what's the real issue behind the demonisation of tobacco, and on why so much we've been told about tobacco is BS.

Last, but not least, I try to be friendly, encouraging, and supportive to other tobacco users, whether they choose to smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or what have you; and if I see them walking around the local varsity's 100% smoke-free campus smoking a cig I don't rat them out.

Reactions: Elric and jpmcwjr

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Over the years various members point out what is happening in their area with regard to legislation addressing tobacco and/or smoking. Some even address that is happening across international borders, either commiserating with or condemning the choices made in other countries. So, my question is, "What do each of us do, in our own little part of the world, to protect against such legislation?"

I think we can do this, without hysterical political screeds, by simply answering the question. No justification(s) needed. No philosophy either. Just a simple, how are you participating in the process? Or, are you? Donations? Active support/opposition? Working for one side or the other?

Personally, I do little, other than financially (to limit legally acceptable) supporting candidates who favor favor my political philosophy.
Do whatever you can to protect your rights . Fight with tooth and nail if you have to . One of the things i respect most about America as a nation and the American people is your ability to do thais and the steadfastness of attitude to stand up for what you believe in . We down here in Australia have been a little lax as far as makeing our government work for us instead we find ourselves working for them . They seem to be able to push thru any new laws and pay rises for themselves whenever they please without any consultation with the public that pays their wages . As a result a 50gram tin of your favorite blend will set you back a bit over $100 . If i couldnt recieve my indulgence with the help of some very appreciated fellow pipers from across the ocean , i wouldnt be able to enjoy what we do . In short do what you can and enjoy your freedom . People of your nation hav always been admired for standing up for what you believe in and for fighting for your right to make your own choices , this is a beautiful thing and we salute you for it .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are more likely to get action locally, as with city, county or state government, than with national. Don't make it a partisan issue if you don't have to. People who may not vote the way you do may take your side on some issues, if you are specific and not obviously contrary to their other key issues. Tobacco pipe issues also tie into the local economy, small business, retail, in some cases senior citizens, and local tax revenue, and others you may know.

Reactions: kurtbob and Casual

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
mso understands the methodology. Harsh words, name calling, etc. only PO's many who might otherwise ignore the issue or even support your issue. Ignoring is almost as useful as direct support. It's certainly better than outright opposition which is what you get when you start calling names.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
MSO nailed it. Start locally. Act locally. That's the area where you can really "make a difference", as to-day's youngsters are so fond of saying.

Deny yourself every now and then too: smoking an aro as you lunt can go a short or a long way to influence opinion: changing the mistaken notion that tobacco users stink and pollute.

Reactions: kurtbob

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
used to organize for a water protection organization
That is some great work which is often under-appreciated.

In my experience, it is local laws that tend to have the biggest impact on my life, so I always vote in them when I can. The bigger federal issues crop up much less for me (impact wise), so it's not as pressing in my life. I'll file for an absentee ballot when I'm not in the country on a local election, but definitely not for a federal election.

Actively working to promote tobacco use anywhere is pretty far down on my list of priorities, despite my interest in pipe smoking. I'm much more likely to help organize against environmental impacts, which for me, are just more worth the time I have to spend on these kinds of activities, leaving tobacco advocacy for others who may feel inclined to pick up the fight.

I am an active citizen, but I'm selective.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I continue to spend waste my moneys on this vice that I enjoy even though I cannot fully justify doing so. That being said, I would actively solicit politicians for support but my state has changed colors (both executive and legislative) and I fear more repressive legislation unrelated to pipe smoking.

Really this topic is like beating a dead horse (insert picture here).

"What do each of us do, in our own little part of the world, to protect against such legislation?"

Previous threads have indicated that we are in the minority (social pariahs), the tide has turned against smokers, etc. Vote (and solicit) for favorable politicians if you like, but it would more prudent to cellar for a future where tobacco is more expensive and ultimately unobtainable. Tobacco and smokers will go the way of the dodo.

Reactions: artvandelay007

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Not sure about the "dead horse" reference. I've not seen any discussion with regard to individual effort other than letter writing or hand wringing.

I started this thread to try and prove a point to myself. Most here are totally satisfied to type their complaints of the status quo. It's much easier than investing effort, time and/or moneys.

I'm actually quite surprised at the number of members who actually do put their sweat and/or moneys where their mouths are and get involved in local governance. Most simply want to run in circles, screaming and yelling as they pee down their legs.

Reactions: kurtbob

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm gearing up for my presidential run in 2024. Once in office, I'll be smoking my pipe and cigars in the Oval Office and people will be puffing again across the country. Everyone will be required to own two guns and I'll implement huge tax deductions for pipe and tobacco purchases. PAD and TAD will rule!
Do you have a brother you can send over, get him naturalised and become Prime Minister?

"Gentlemen, you may smoke" is what we wanna hear. No more enviroBS.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I started this thread to try and prove a point to myself.

You don’t say.

Most here are totally satisfied to type their complaints of the status quo. It's much easier than investing effort, time and/or moneys.

Is the percentage here of people who are politically active more or less than the general population? If those numbers aren’t available, what was “proven”?

Most simply want to run in circles, screaming and yelling as they pee down their legs.

Many others like to sit in their houses and feel justified in their negative opinions of others.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Words. I tend to do that letter writing campaign. And one funny thing I've noticed if you want to write a Republican make fun of them then the idea (you're being dumbing thinking this would work...) and with Democrats you make fun of the idea than them (that's a dumb idea and that makes you a dumb dumb). Being a little silly but it's a trend I've noticed and don't pretend to understand. Try to get as many people as you can to do it. See the neat thing is when you write a letter and put it in the mailbox it says you've got extra time on your hands and if enough people say they have that things start looking like more bother then they're worth.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Is the percentage here of people who are politically active more or less than the general population? If those numbers aren’t available, what was “proven”?
I'm not intending to measure my inferences against any national norm. Can't really as the members responding cross national borders. Not all members here are Americans. Some simply can't handle the idea that different ideas from around the world is the norm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.