PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
It is always good to mix things up every so often.

Sometimes I will switch it up and then go back to my regular blends I have smoked for years and find a little nuance or quality that can get lost overtime.

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Recently smoked some Newminster Superior Round Slices I had been unintentionally aging for a couple of years and was surprised at how different it seemed from what I remembered. I only smoked it because I was digging around my cellar for one of those change of pace smokes. It also helped scratch the itch of wanting to order something that was new to me.

Sometimes what you think may be subpar or off putting may be a winner with some age and change in tastes.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I seem to recall having tried that once and not being thrilled, but I will look. I know it has perique,and I am not a perique guy.
if you tried it and dint like it then that's your preference. I always keep blends just to see if my taste has changed down the line or if wheezing it will change the tobacco

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'm probably enough to skew any meaningful analysis of results, since there's not much I don't like, & I mean really like. Quality aros (emphasis on "quality"), good Englishes (up to & definitely including straight latakia), anything curly-cut &/or perique-like (any3 Nuns particularly), quality burleys, some Virginias, even some OTCs like SWR although I don't smoke it much...

The few things I REALLY don't like are the over-cased aros; if I have to dry it for 6 months to avoid sticky fingers & tongue burn, that's a problem.

Bill

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Yeah, so far in my pipe-smoking journey, I haven't really come across any tobaccos that I really disliked the taste of--although I have had a few blends that have irritated my throat, and for the life of me I can't seem to narrow it down to any specific tobacco type in the blend.

I haven't developed much of a taste for either straight Virginia blends or heavy Latakia blends, but I don't dislike either. I find with Latakia, I REALLY like it when it's a minor component, and just adds some body and complexity to the flavor.

I don't know how to define my tastes, but my favorite tobaccos so far are:

Comoy's Cask No. 2
Newminster Danish Gold
Newminster Danish Black
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Newminster Superior Round Slices
Brigadier Black Waterloo
Vincent Manil Semois-Reserve du Patron
GH&Co. Black and Brown
Murray's 1810 Belfast
Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant
Edward G Robinson Pipe Blend
Country Squire Rivendell
Prince Albert

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
After about 1.5 years of steady interest in the hobby, here are my favourite blends (I’ve defined this as blends I enjoyed enough to buy more than one tin):

Dunhill London Mixture
Dunhill My Mixture 965
Erinmore Flake
Capstan Blue Flake
Cornell & Diehl Oriental Silk
Amphora Kentucky Blend

Reactions: jpmcwjr

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
After about 1.5 years of steady interest in the hobby, here are my favourite blends (I’ve defined this as blends I enjoyed enough to buy more than one tin):

Dunhill London Mixture
Dunhill My Mixture 965
Erinmore Flake
Capstan Blue Flake
Cornell & Diehl Oriental Silk
Amphora Kentucky Blend
Looks lika a good list to me

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.