What do the Symbols "LIKES" Mean to You in Our Threads?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Maybe a little foolish for many, but here it is:
What do the symbols "LIKES" mean to you in our threads?
What is the idea behind?
Do you use them ?
What do you want to express?:
Let him know that you've read?,
That you share their tastes / opinions?
Are you trying to encourage?
Do you want to express empathy?
Is it useful to you in some way?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I use the like/thumbs up as a general or generic like or agreement with a post but I don't have anything to say or contribute.

I use the love with the hearts for when I particularly like something someone has posted. I will post comments in addition the this if I feel they are beneficial or necessary.

I use the haha smiley face the same as the love fave but for when I find something particularly amusing or funny.

I don't really use the others much as I won't want to be confusing in certain situations. For example I could use the angry face for when someone posts something I agree with but makes me angry. I don't want the poster to think I'm angry with them or for their post. It's more I agree with what they said and am angry along with them. Like if someone said "this makes me angry ______" and I gree with them and it makes me angry too. It's the thing that makes me angry, not the post or poster. The angry face just doesn't convey things as well.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The angry face is dangerously unintelligible. Angry at what? The topic or the poster? It can either be commiseration or accusation.

At least the ambiguities in the like button both head in the same direction, I.e., positive. So if you misconstrue meaning, it’s unlikely to cause a conflict. But the angry icon can go either way.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I ? what shanez wrote because I agreed with everything he said.

I use the Like button the same way people used to write +1 in response to someone's post. If someone's giving good advice, I can just like it to demonstrate more of a consensus rather than filling up the forum thread with +1s or "I agree" comments.

I used the angry face once and someone called me out on it and wanted to know what they wrote made me angry . . . and I didn't mean it that way. So I shy away from that as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I use it as the old "+1" post: agreement.

Love emoji: total agreement.

How I see it? Well, there it varies, because I can't always tell whether the Like-givers are using it as +1 or like they do on other social media sites (don't ask me about this, I'm not on any of them besides Flickr).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like: I agree but nothing to say besides (+1)
Love: totally agree or something in the post you love like the pipe or tobacco or pic etc.
angry: I usually use if the actual post someone made makes me angry.
sad: posting is sad and I agree
Laughing: post made me laugh
Eek face: shocking post or “wow”

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Like: I agree but nothing to say besides (+1)
Love: totally agree or something in the post you love like the pipe or tobacco or pic etc.
angry: I usually use if the actual post someone made makes me angry.
sad: posting is sad and I agree
Laughing: post made me laugh
Eek face: shocking post or “wow”
I'm practicing my angry face with you BROBS: :mad:

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
They're needed because after seeing you've been notified that a thread/discussion you're following has additional comments there's nothing worse than returning to catch up on the chat... only to find nothing more than a bunch of useless 'agree' 'this' or '+1' comments

They make any forum less irritating to use