PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Full disclosure: I've only smoked 3 blends since I started down this road. My knowledge is very limited!
I like Nightcap. This I knew. But in my last bowl of Nightcap I decided to really try to discern what I like about it. My palette for flavours is very limited, but I did get a 'nuttiness' and 'woodiness' from the smoke. I was pleased that I could pick that out from the initial 'its just smoke' taste.
My next tin was Early Morning pipe. It was the first blend that I let sit in a sealed mason jar. I like it, but it's a little 'lighter' than Nightcap but I can't say why. I still enjoy it, and get the same nutty flavour but not like with Nightcap.
I just watched a few of Russ Oulette's videos on YouTube describing the different types of tobacco. Very informative but I'm still trying to find the source of that nutty flavour.
I went to tobaccoreviews.com and did a little research and ordered several blends that sounded good. Idontwant everything to be like Nightcap but I would like to know the source of that flavour so I can build on it.
That's a little rambling so I apologize! But it turns out the more I learn the more there is to learn.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love Dunhill (english) blends, and I too get a "nutty" flavor in all of them. I get "black walnut" specifically in these........... It seems to be (for my tastes anyways) a common theme in all of their English blends, and that's why they are some of my most favored.
I grew up on a farm, and we had Black walnuts everywhere. My mother and grandmother used to shell them out in the fall, and we would use them all winter in cookies, muffins etc........ I really love that flavor........... :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So the nutiness is a signature of a good English blend? I'd like to combine that with some of the sweetness of Virginia (thanks Russ)
Mso - your right about the balance, now that I have improved my technique I find I can get the similar taste through the whole bowl and not scorch my tongue

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also, I think the Dunhill blends I like have especially good base tobacco. The Virginias, Orientals, Lat and Perique they use are especially well selected. There have been a few Dunhill blends I've tried that I didn't like, but the ones I like seem to have notably high quality tobacco, carefully stored, processed, and cut. It is an exceptionally dependable brand.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So is Dunhill still on the death list? I left a message for Sykes at smokingpipes that he should buy it. He hasn't gotten back to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, Dunhill tobacco is going to have a lot in common with this fellow very shortly.
Frohawk_Dodo.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the brand seems to sell well, I keep supposing that after some stalling as negotiations continue, the brand will be sold to someone else, who may or may not maintain the quality. But last I heard, Dunhill as we know it is not going to continue, though no announcement on an end date has been made. Anyone with any more recent and definitive information, please let us know.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Since the brand seems to sell well, I keep supposing that after some stalling as negotiations continue, the brand will be sold to someone else, who may or may not maintain the quality.
Dunhill is the leading brand of luxury cigarettes world wide. I doubt BAT would risk the Dunhill brand image by selling the name for the cigars and pipe tobacco. 8O

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What mso489 said: any links to official or semiofficial or even rumours news?
Funny thing, someone posted a half-star, dispiriting review last Saturday, Nov. 11, on smokingpipes.com, complaining about Lane adding propylene glycol added to both Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe. Is this related to Dunhill's problems?
Drats, I really wanted to buy a tin of both Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe, but now I'm not so sure.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Nite cap is my smoke 98% of the time. I have about 10 lbs bulk, about 5 lbs in tins. It reminds me of when I was a very young boy who went with his Grandfather to town and we would stop at the leather repair shop, smells of fresh saddles, harness repairs, all now remind me of Nitecap, hate sweet tobbaco, drink my coffee black, Balance is a very good word for this blend, not fancy but honest flavor, really hope it continues but stupidlty abounds, remember The New Coke.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
The only certainty with regard to Dunhill blends is that one can buy them for the time being. As such, an ardent fan can either collect stock now or hope that they will continue in some form. Weigh a doubt against a 'certainty' on this and wage your bet. If I were like tbradsim1 or DM and loved a Dunhill blend, and if it were fiscally possible for me, I'd collect some stock now...
The rest is speculation.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, speculation just made me order a tin of Early Morning Pipe; hopefully, there won't be much propylene glycol in it. They were all out of Nightcap.

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
First, select country, use “UK Travel”, then hit the arrows on the right.

Then, select the type, hit the arrows on the right,

Then, select the brand, hit the sarrows on the right,

Finally, select the tobacco you are looking for.
7_FpP-.png

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I think mso489 really put it best with the observation of strength and balance. It is definitely latakia forward with a decent nic hit and a hint of perique spiciness, but the flavor balance in this blend is real artistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.