What Did Your Fathers and Grandfathers Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
My dad was a Borkum Riff smoker. I asked, but even he didn't remember which variety.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My grandfather smoked cigars and my father smoked cigarettes, although he quit when I was 7 and never took it up again. He said he tried a pipe before I was born but didn't like it. I still have his meer, great smoker, must be 70-75 years old by now. I only took up the pipe in college because the girls in class hated the cigar but loved the smell of a pipe. Or so they thought, until I lit up a lat-forward English and taught those brats a lesson. Went back to cigars for many years, then back to the pipe when the Gen-X morons made cigar smoking "a hobby" and drove the price of a decent cigar through the roof.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
@ClickClick, I would love to find a pouch of Plow Boy. I haven't had it since the early 70's. It was a good smoking/chewing tobacco.
My Grandfather smoked Half/Half. An Uncle smoked Velvet. My mother and StepFather did the ciggs.
John R

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My dad was a cigarette smoker. The only grandfather I knew was a pipe smoker. At one time he smoked only George Washington from what I was told.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
My Dad smoked Sir Walter Raleigh, Flying Dutchman, and Captain Black White. The ladies at his offices loved the smell of CBW. :puffy:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My grandfather only smoked Prince Albert. I still have the last opened can of it had just before he died back in 1994. Surprisingly, it's still quite smokable. I'll take a pinch in one of his old pipes in remembrance this weekend.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
When my father smoked he smoked Chesterfield cigarettes. His father smoked a pipe and although he quit long before I was born, dad told me he smoked Cutty tobacco. My mom's father used tobacco in many ways. He dipped Old Square snuff, smoked those little Parodi cigars and when he smoked a pipe he smoked Flying Dutchman. When I started smoking a pipe I would frequently get a tin of Flying Dutchman just to have a feeling of closeness to my grandfather. By the time I smoking, Cutty was no longer available.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
My Dad smoked these:
(I found these last summer unopened in his loft)

img_0304-572x600.jpg

image5-448x600.jpg

img_0307-600x448.jpg

img_0308-600x448.jpg

plus Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Three Nuns and Plumcake

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Both my granddads smoked cigarettes, same for my paternal grandmother.. and my father as well, but he smoked the occasional pipe and it was exclusively Captain Black Cherry

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
My paternal grandfather smoked cigs,rolled his own cigars/cigarillos and probably smoked whatever is available on his pipe. A few steps away from their home is a tobacco/corn field.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Not sure exactly what my grandfather smoked; however, I distinctly remember that he has some straight stemmed black rusticated pipe and a large white tub of tobacco. Since he lived in a very small lumber mill town I assume that it was an OTC blend and am inclined to believe that it was Captain Black.
I had an uncle, my grandfather's brother, who smoked old burly blend like PA, Granger, Paladin, ect. What is amazing is that he often would set around the campfire and make his own corn cob pipe. After fashioning the bowl he would take a long piece of metal and heat it in the fire to burn/bore a whole in a random piece of twig he whittled for the stem. This would be in addition to the one briar pipe he had.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
The main tobacco I remember my grandfather (who gave me my first pipe a long time ago) smoking is Mixture 79!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
During a brief period when my late father dabbled with the pipe he preferred Douwe Egbert's Amphora Extra Mild Cavendish (blue tin). His father, a confirmed pipe-smoker, alternated between The American Tobacco Company's Half-and-Half and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company's Prince Albert. My maternal grandfather was also a pipe-smoker, but passed before I was born, and I do not know what were his preferences in pipe-tobacco.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Gramps didn't smoke a pipe, but my Uncle did. He had plenty of cans of Half & Half around the workshop, so I assume that was part of his consumption at some point. 1Q or BCA was his regular when I was growing up though.
He had a jar of BCA next to his chair, always with a slice of apple in it. I assume to keep it more moist than it already was. :crazy:

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
My grandfather smoked machine made cigars like White Owl, cigarrettes, and a pipe. He made roll your own cigarettes as well. He smoked the same tobacco in his cigarettes as his pipe. Since he was a farmer turned machine shop owner, and lived through the Great Depression, it was likely whatever he could find cheapest at the local store. I had a sample of it, and it's not any of the common OTC pipe tobaccos.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My father-in-law smoke Captain Black cut with Latakia. He told me he had tried tons of blends from all over the world and that particular combo was his favorite. It's not bad actually but definitely not a favorite of mine.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
My father-in-law smoke Captain Black cut with Latakia. He told me he had tried tons of blends from all over the world and that particular combo was his favorite. It's not bad actually but definitely not a favorite of mine.
Sounds like he would like Boswell's Northwoods...

Status
Not open for further replies.