What Did I Buy? Block Meerschaum. Pressed, or Clay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Hello Meerschaum Veterans, I've got an ID request for you but I'm thinking I should just smoke it and get on with it!
772UM5X.jpeg

I got this as part of an estate sale and I'm just curious what you guys think of it? I'm also wondering whats the best way to get the grime off of it and remove that 811 from the inside. I was thinking 600 sandpaper for the inside of the bowl and a fresh coating of wax for the outside?
1tM1OWc.jpg

It absorbs moisture on it albeit slowly, and seems like it's weathering as a Meer should, but I haven't owned one before and this looks nothing like most of the ones I've seen.

A9uUJjE.jpg

Excuse the ghetto spacer, the stem was out of alignment.

Album for Big HD Images

1. It’s a Meerschaum
2. There is no way to tell from pictures whether it’s block or pressed. However I would argue it’s a block
3. One test for block meerschaum- put a most finger (or touch your tongue) inside the bowl. It will stick. However sometimes it sticks for very high quality pressed Meerschaum as well

EDIT - You should really do it with your tongue. Finger is an alternative since I figured you may not want to lick the inside of an estate pipe

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
1. It’s a Meerschaum
2. There is no way to tell from pictures whether it’s block or pressed. However I would argue it’s a block
3. One test for block meerschaum- put a most finger (or touch your tongue) inside the bowl. It will stick. However sometimes it sticks for very high quality pressed Meerschaum as well

It IS sticky! Weird!

Great tips for figuring that out quickly, thank you!

@condorlover1 No case, it just came in a bit of bubble wrap.

Anyone have tips on scraping off that 811 marking? Or should I hit it with some sandpaper?

I'd like to get it off of there but if it's not possible without messing up whatever finish has developed on the inside I can live with it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It IS sticky! Weird!

Anyone have tips on scraping off that 811 marking? Or should I hit it with some sandpaper?

I'd like to get it off of there but if it's not possible without messing up whatever finish has developed on the inside I can live with it.
Is the number written in pencil? If so, just leave it alone. That little bit of graphite will be covered up by more carbon in short order.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It IS sticky! Weird!

Just leave it. These markings are normal on brand new block meers. ?

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Just leave it. These markings are normal on brand new block meers. ?
@Country Bladesmith it is indeed, sounds like I've nothing to worry about then.

I'll defer to the experts knowledge on the subject, thanks guys! This forum really is an invaluable resource for a new piper.

Now to get her a fresh coat of Beewax and a clean rag to start smoking with tonight, can't wait to try my first Meerschaum smoke!

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Another test is to scrape with a piece of silver. Silver will leave a mark on clay or pressed meerschaum but not on block. I wear a silver ring that I use for testing meerschaum.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, think it's block. Probably Turkish from the 1960s. Plastic stem. I say just leave the number where it is and smoke it!

Status
Not open for further replies.