What Constitiutes 'All Natural' Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've seen a few blends with 'all natural' plastered on the front, and it got me wondering if there is anything to that or not.

Is there any regulations on what makes a certain blend 'all natural'? Or is it just an advertising trick to differentiate from a chemical laden substance they put in cigarettes?

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I also wonder about this. I don't know. I would think that there's a list of ingredients that you're allowed to use that are considered natural. Like vegetable glycerin, essential oils, and flavor extracts. But I would assume sodium benzoate to not be included. Yes, that's an actual pipe tobacco ingredient. Most cigarettes contain reconstituted tobacco which is essentially a paper made with tobacco bits and stems - I don't think that's natural.

British American Tobacco used to have a website where you could look up the ingredients in their cigarettes and pipe tobacco. This would include the Dunhill line. I recently discovered that I couldn't find it any more. Of all the cigarettes I looked up, Dunhill was the most natural.

Let's see if this link works. The last time I tried to link a Pdf it didn't work. It's kinda a scary read.

Reactions: BROBS

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Do you have any examples? The only one I can think of is Semois.

bkb-tp-1000(532867).png
Smokin-Joes-Original542-1043.jpg
Kentucky_Select_Natural_Pipe_Tobacco.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The "tobacco" in Backwoods is all natural. The other stuff in the cigar, maybe not.

Probably so. But probably not certifiable as "organically grown" tobacco.

If you assert that "all natural" implies that there are no ingredients besides tobacco (casings, toppings, humectants, what-have-you)I have some that I grew myself last year. What it means, then, is that it is not ready to smoke.

Also right. I guess we need to find or define what "Unnatural Tobacco" is!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you assert that "all natural" implies that there are no ingredients besides tobacco (casings, toppings, humectants, what-have-you)I have some that I grew myself last year. What it means, then, is that it is not ready to smoke.
Although, a serious question, now: Are there not some good blends that aren't topped? Surely, humectants are not essential, are they?

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.