PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thank you, gents. Now I can remove the bands in good conscience. I may even find an appropriate wood screw. The little Punch cigar I had New Years Day, the band wouldn't slide off, so I had to take it off in bits, but I'd rather keep them as trophies, at least for a while. Scotch tape them to my calendar. With the foil and fancy printing, I hate to throw them out.
My understanding is that traditionally, the English and other European cigar cultures believed that removing the band before smoking was good manners. That leaving it on was considered a bit showy. I am not sure if that is still the case, as I suspect we're all a bit more showy these days, but there is nothing wrong with removing the band at any point. Well, I guess if you're removing them in the cigar shop to pass off a Padron 1926 as a house cigar, that might be frowned upon... but once you own it, it's all yours!

Typically, I remove my bands after an inch or so, but lately I've been leaving them on longer. Guess I'm doing it for the 'gram myself :ROFLMAO:

Pichardo Clasico Maduro with Sumatran espresso.

20220105_184021.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Been missing posts… sorry. Arturo Fuente Seleccion Privada No.1 Lonsdale. Nice flavor, draw and burn too much work. I’ll smoke the three I have left, but wouldn’t rush to buy again. Love my 858’s though.

Wondering, is tight draw a Lonsdale/ lancero, thinner ring gauge thing? Harder to roll really well?

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
Been missing posts… sorry. Arturo Fuente Seleccion Privada No.1 Lonsdale. Nice flavor, draw and burn too much work. I’ll smoke the three I have left, but wouldn’t rush to buy again. Love my 858’s though.

Wondering, is tight draw a Lonsdale/ lancero, thinner ring gauge thing? Harder to roll really well?
It is strange, it is not common to come across a Caribbean with a difficult draft, except for the presence of a knot. Usually it's Cubans who have that kind of problem because torceadores compress more than others (specifically a couple of years around 2000 were terrible). Read like this (difficult draft and combustion) makes me think of excessive storage humidity, you can notice it if the cigar is swollen with consequent "capa" too tight, especially near the "anilla" (band) and the swollen foot like a trumpet.
... Sorry my bad English ;)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Fuentes usually have pretty good construction, but one tight draw that immediately comes to mind for me is the Casa Cuba in that same size. In general, I would not say that thinner vitolas are inherently tighter, at least outside of Cuba. It may be more frustrating or notable when they are though, as you're dealing with less smoke volume to begin with in those sizes... I don't know ?

Now smoking an ACE Prime The Sergeant with some Sumatran espresso. This cigar has a tighter draw than I like, despite being a 58 RG (it's a single size cigar, or else I'd have chosen something more "reasonable" :)). First cigar made by Pichardo that hasn't been perfect in terms of the draw for my preferences anyway.

20220107_192401.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
AJ Fernandez New World Puro Especial. 1/2 way through, it’s a nice cigar. A little pepper, but a fine blendT. The richness and body are here, just not as dark and sweet as I favor. Still a beautiful night, a weekend ahead, and good tidings to my internet brethren . (and, a few old fashioned’s with Toki Whiskey doesn’t hurt). 66B36D9A-ACBC-4FD4-BDEC-9F45CB726C72.jpeg

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
A Gurkha Black Ops cigar. Every time I think I've burned up all of these, I find another.

I wish I had that problem with currency...

Celebrating my drop in social status. Sold my house last month and quit my job yesterday.

Now, I'm homeless and unemployed!

View attachment 120130
I'm trying to hang in there in regards to employment for a few more years. My employer was snatched up by a regional corporate juggernaut and they've done absolutely nothing favoring individuals. Jay, I'm jealous of your status.

At least I can enjoy this aged baby Boli with some black coffee.

20220108_135346.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.