PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Up early, so time to enjoy a cigar. A cheap La Perla Habana Classic 6x50. Darker brown wrapper with some pronounced veins and toothy.

I got a lemon zest flavor on the first few puffs, which quickly transitioned to a leather, light cedar and semi sweet dark chocolate. Moving on to the 1/2 way mark, profile stays pretty much the same, smoke gets more creamy and sweeter, there’s a Ligero taste to it. Strength has picked up too.

Moving into the last 1/3 the leather note subsides a bit, and there’s a salty, citrusy quality to it. As it progresses there is the flavor of hazelnuts.

These were purchased in late 2013, so not quite 8 years of age. I reviewed these several years ago, the thing that stands out is the flavor had some more sweet and chocolate notes. At this age the leather is at the forefront, but it’s still a decent cigar. Construction was good and it burned evenly throughout. These were left in the cello, it would be interesting to see how they would develop naked.

At $1.75 a stick, a good value.

84B426DF-0F1F-406B-81DE-4B7586F4C254.jpeg

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
x5ceEzWl.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Continuing on with medium bodied smokes, we have the La Aurora Black Lion Corojo Gran Toro, a 6x58 vitola.

I bought a couple boxes of these when they first came out, in the Spring of 2016. Smoked a few initially. The last one I remember smoking was during deer rifle opener in 2016. My first impression wasn’t necessarily favorable...

5 years later...

Initially there was a fruity citrusy note. That was immediately followed by cream, coffee, cedar, baking spices, earthy, raisins, and a hint of leather.

B9C78BFD-AE6B-478A-A9FD-4BD224D5A370.jpeg

At the halfway mark, the profile changes, leather and peppery notes ramp up, and spice and other sweet notes recede.

Last 1/3rd: Deep caramel flavor takes a lead, voluminous smoke output.

I keep smoking until my fingertips can’t handle it. A salty, sharp taste now. I set it down for a few minutes, but keep picking it up for a few more puffs...

Fin...

F53DAF2D-7F04-460A-9E2A-E1B0B27F813E.jpeg

Good construction, smooth seams, initially the burn ran on one side, so I set it down for several minutes. The wrapper doesn’t have much tooth; it’s pretty smooth. It was a little spongy, but this is a great cigar. Flavor bomb pretty much from the get go. The aroma wafting off the remains is pleasant. I think I paid just under $100 for 20 in a box back when I got them, so for a $5 stick this a great value with some age on it.

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Continuing on with medium bodied smokes, we have the La Aurora Black Lion Corojo Gran Toro, a 6x58 vitola.

I bought a couple boxes of these when they first came out, in the Spring of 2016. Smoked a few initially. The last one I remember smoking was during deer rifle opener in 2016. My first impression wasn’t necessarily favorable...

5 years later...

Initially there was a fruity citrusy note. That was immediately followed by cream, coffee, cedar, baking spices, earthy, raisins, and a hint of leather.

View attachment 79827

At the halfway mark, the profile changes, leather and peppery notes ramp up, and spice and other sweet notes recede.

Last 1/3rd: Deep caramel flavor takes a lead, voluminous smoke output.

I keep smoking until my fingertips can’t handle it. A salty, sharp taste now. I set it down for a few minutes, but keep picking it up for a few more puffs...

Fin...

View attachment 79826

Good construction, smooth seams, initially the burn ran on one side, so I set it down for several minutes. The wrapper doesn’t have much tooth; it’s pretty smooth. It was a little spongy, but this is a great cigar. Flavor bomb pretty much from the get go. The aroma wafting off the remains is pleasant. I think I paid just under $100 for 20 in a box back when I got them, so for a $5 stick this a great value with some age on it.
Lord, that is a large band on that thing. La Aurora is a good brand. I miss their Fernando Leon line.

Status
Not open for further replies.