PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I meant to try that one at my local shop, but they sold out of them before I could and haven't restocked them yet. May just get a 5er. Theyre, good, eh? I like most of the Casa Fernandez/Aganorsa stuff. I think the only Connecticut Shade (Ecuadorian) wrapped cigar I've had that they make is the Illusione Rothschild CT, which I found to be nice and flavorful, too.

How was it? When those first came out, a lot of guys were raving about it, even some of the grizzled old guys who prefer their stronger, fuller-bodied Nicaraguans. I've had the Orange version, which was a pretty solid smoke for the price, but never t that one.
I enjoyed it! Definitely not as light as a lot of the other Connecticut offerings. Very consistent throughout and great construction.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Round two for a beautiful spring dayView attachment 71582
How was it? I had a 10 count box of those from Oct 15... A couple had horrible draws, most of the others were real good, and a couple were among the best cigars I've ever had. Just unbelievably rich and loaded with sweet and creamy flavors of honey, fruit and floral notes. I was smoking them in like September of 2016, so its not like age was the reason. Just a magical box (aside from the couple of scuds), I guess. I've tried the Epicures 1 and 2 hoping to find something that compares, but no such luck. Maybe it is just the Especiales that are a cut above, or maybe I am chasing a ghost, lol. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Oliva Serie V Melanio in a 6 x 60 Ring Gauge. This is a cigar where the Vitola makes a difference. Good in all sizes, but 60 ring gauge is sublime
View attachment 71473
I'm not normally into cigars that thick but your love for that stick in that vitola has me thinking I should give one a try. I think my local shop carries the size.

I'm not normally into cigars that thick but your love for that stick in that vitola has me thinking I should give one a try. I think my local shop carries the size.
This was the last I had in 6 x 60. I now have a bunch of Robustos in my humidor. I should have taken a photo side by side, as I think the wrapper on the 6x60 looked much more oily than the Robusto.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
How was it? I had a 10 count box of those from Oct 15... A couple had horrible draws, most of the others were real good, and a couple were among the best cigars I've ever had. Just unbelievably rich and loaded with sweet and creamy flavors of honey, fruit and floral notes. I was smoking them in like September of 2016, so its not like age was the reason. Just a magical box (aside from the couple of scuds), I guess. I've tried the Epicures 1 and 2 hoping to find something that compares, but no such luck. Maybe it is just the Especiales that are a cut above, or maybe I am chasing a ghost, lol. ?
It was a beautiful box when I got it fresh back in '16 - oily wrappers with that orange glow I am used to seeing on Cohibas. They're coming around nicely, but still need much more time. The fruity quality you mention typically reminds me of apricot. HdM has always been a high-quality blend in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.