PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong. Watching Up in Smoke as a kid on beta max sure made me want to smoke! Not until years later did I realize smoking horse sh-t was a no-no.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Brad Pitt would likely be the biggest celebrity to influence the public, it would end up on every tabloid in every supermarket in the world.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
@Plateauguy - I find her SOOOO attractive and that picture just cemented my opinion of her.
GUYS/GALS - WHY would we want pipe tobacco and pipe sales to spike??? I thoroughly remember when I dipped my toes into cigars. I got a good comfort level for them when I was in the USMC and then after getting discharged the whole industry went crazy. Cigars that I paid $5 for were now at $12, if you could find them. This lasted for almost a decade. We already can't keep Penzance on the shelves for more than 10 min with just around. Imagine what would happen to prices, out of stock orders, decreases in quality, and a number of other issues if this came to fruition.
I say SHUSH IT and lets keep this to ourselves :nana:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Hell, I remember paying $1.85 for a Fuente Churchill and the shelves were full of them !!! How about Steven Wright smoking a pipe ? No, really.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
yaza, good point. I hope this is just a fantasy game. If masses of folks descend upon our pipe shops and web sites,

the prices will double, the tax man will follow for sure, and the pleasure of being one of the brave and the few will evaporate.

So maybe this thread should be, celebrities to keep away from pipes. I think Morgan Freeman worries me most. And he

may already own that pipe he's smoking in the movie. Uh-oh.
So which celebrities do we definitely want to keep away from pipes?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm amazed no one has mentioned Jodie Foster. Not only is she a talented actress, but is college educated--in English--and is a genuine intellectual, stereotypically the province of pipe smokers.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Nice shot of Jordon with the churchwarden.

Sean Connery gets my vote among males.

Jay z I'm sure all ready has a stock pile of Cuban cigars.

Among women, I would love to see Sophia Vergara smoking a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nora Jones, but it might diminish her beautiful clear voice, or not. Ravi Shankar was her dad, though

I don't think he was active in bringing her up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scarlett Johansson, Burnadette Peters, Lily Tomlin, Patti Smith. Yoko Ono.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm betting that a lot of those mentioned above have smoked a pipe of something more than once or twice. More than a few probably travel with a full smoking kit, less smoking material. That is purchased from hotel staff or other known contact. Am I being a bit too cynical?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Guys,
Several have asked why we want pipe / tobacco sales to spike. Simple economics. If there is a sudden increase in demand, then the price will immediately increase. Therefore the margins will increase. Other vendors will notice and join the market or increase production. This will increase competition and therefore supply and probably quality. As sales go up, perhaps perception will change. More people will try the pipe or switch from cigarettes. There will be medical studies / insurance policy changes that favor pipes. Possibly even the government will become less hostile if enough voters are smoking pipes.
OK class is dismissed. Be sure to read chapter 7 of your textbook. There will be a pop quiz at the beginning of next class.
Winton

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
This is an easy one. Who has influenced more sales on books, clothing, vacations, music and people's reputations? The Oprah

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Jodie Foster was terrible in Silence of the Lambs. I had to shut it off after twenty minutes of her. I saw Red Dragon first and for the entire twenty minutes of Jodie Foster's horrid attempt at a southern accent and bad delivery in Silence of the Lambs I was thinking to myself, "Edward Norton was so much better.".

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I hope you mean the Duchess of Cambridge flaky, seeing topless photos of the Duchess of Cornwall aka Camilla Parker-Bowles would be a little too much to bear.

LOL! Thinking about it, if any celeb could be of influence it would be HRH William Duke of Cambridge. I can picture the Duke and Duchess strolling a park pushing a pram with a Dunhill billiard stuck in his smilling gob. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Prince Charles might actually discourage pipe smoking. He's had such a downbeat career, his efforts at activism,

his public and disheveled private life, and now his accession late in retirement age, if ever. Charles smoking a pipe

might move piping to dark sequestered places. Unless he abdicated in favor of his son William, and cultivated a

dapper image as a globetrotting royal without portfolio. Then he might have a jaunty aplomb. Public image is

often counterintuitive. A pipe might perk up his restless, slightly downtrodden and peevish look.

Status
Not open for further replies.