Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Clark Gable killed mens' undershirt sales for years when he took off his dress shirt in a movie and wasn't wearing one.

What celebrity, male or female, could spike sales of tobacco pipes and pipe tobacco by appearing in a movie or on TV

smoking a pipe? You can come up with better, but to get it started, I'll say Michael Jordan, Hillary Clinton, and Keith

Richards (if he could convince people it was tobacco, which is unlikely). Who are your candidates?

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If Robert Downey Jr. publicly and seriously picked up pipe-smoking, we'd see a few things going out of stock online within a week.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Clark Gable killed mens' undershirt sales for years when he took off his dress shirt in a movie and wasn't wearing one.

What celebrity, male or female, could spike sales of tobacco pipes and pipe tobacco by appearing in a movie or on TV

smoking a pipe? You can come up with better, but to get it started, I'll say Michael Jordan, Hillary Clinton, and Keith

Richards (if he could convince people it was tobacco, which is unlikely). Who are your candidates?
- mso489
Hillary Clinton spiking pipe sales? Seriously? I'll admit that her husband spiked cigar sales but doubt Hillary smoking a pipe would make any men want to run out and get one.
Reese Witherspoon on the ladies side of the ledger and Hugh Jackman on the men's side are my choices.
Pipestud

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
RDJ is such a celeb, but not a huge change from the Sherlock Movies.

Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels), also, not much effect on most viewers.
The problem with both, is they're period pieces. We need someone in a Modern day film smoking a pipe, and the whole time too.
Candidates?
George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio (He did in Django Unchained, btw, which was excellent. But again, period piece), Daniel Craig, Nathan Fillion, Mark Wahlberg, others?
So, is Kevin gonna contact all the the candidates?!
+1 to Hugh Jackman

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Let's be serious here. If we're talking a full on pipe smoking revolution it would be Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z, to go with the suit and tie concept.
justin-timberlake-jayz-suit-and-tie.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd have to agree with Johnny Depp. I have to say I was surprised by the mention of JT and Jay-Z, but I have to agree.
As a curve ball, I think if Neal Caffrey (the character on White Collar played by Matt Bomer) picked up the pipe it'd spike an interest. He already has the suave Rat Pack vibe going on. A pipe would seem natural for the character.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'm with Andrew. Being that I'm young, hip, and in the know :)wink:), I can tell you with authority that the number of pipe smokers would grow to extraordinary proportions if Jay-Z OR Justin Timberlike publicly smoked a pipe.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
You have to capture the youth so you gotta go with who they watch...
Ashton Kutcher

Bradley Cooper

Justin Timberlike

Taylor Lautner

Anthony Mackie

Liam Hemsworth

Ryan Gosling

Ludacris

Adam Levine

Samuel L. Jackson

Aug 1, 2012
Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley would both make for positive faces and changes with regards to the pipe.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If Miley Cyrus Twerked with a pipe in her mouth and her tongue sticking out, it would be on every nightly news show, and millions of dizzy young women would buy pipes the very next day.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Okay, I will play.

Mind you this is from a 55 year old Lady, here it goes:

Johnny Depp

Robert Downey Jr.

George Clooney

Al Pacino

Anthony Hopkins

Sean Connery

Robert De Niro

Liam Neeson

Mickey Rourke

Dustin Hoffman

Clive Owen

Clint Eastwood

Daniel Craig

Colin Firth

Colin Farrell

Ed Harris

Gary Oldman

Benicio Del Toro

Denzel Washington

Bruce Willis

Russell Crowe

Djimon Hounsou-Gladiator movie, among others.

Just a few that I can think of right now.

Mind you I am not mentioning the good oldies.

Ron Howard, it does not work at all.

And as pylorns has mentioned the younger ones that would appeal to certain age groups.

The Hip Hop and other music genres, would be a good draw ( no pun intended ).

Keith Richards, Yuk!!! that is one ugly dude, I do like the Stones older music though.

I would be interested to know what Ladies the men here would like to see smoking a pipe, for real not just for show.

Status
Not open for further replies.