What Brand/Artisan is Most Represented in Your Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If he did it over, kashmir would drop his Dunhills? Their stock just went down. And

Comoy's and Barling's just went up.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
At first I would have said Peterson but doing a quick inventory I was shocked to find out I have gathered more Chacoms then anything else.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
LOL mso! I didn't mean to denigrate Dunhills. I love their shapes, perfect engineering, the fact you can date them to year, and their illustrious history. But to be honest, they are a bit over priced in my book. Especially the estates. I'm loyal to vintage Comoys for a number of reasons, not least of which is the smoke they give me. But I am darn curious about Barlings and Sasieni. Never smoked one, so hence the curiosity.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I have about 22 Preben Holm pipes, simply like that Danish stuff. Also a bunch of the Ben Wade Danish made, presumably under the guidance of Holm.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My personal goal was to own an example of a pipe or two from as many pipe makers as possible. While I may never achieve such lofty heights, I have only had one pipe out of thirty or so makers that is just not smokeable on a regular basis.

I have 13 Edwards brand pipes, eleven of which were done in Florida, and 2 made in France. The Edwards Skipper was my first tobacco house pipe, and I began collecting them in the 80's.

I also have 10 Petersons, because I like their aesthetic, and have yet to find a bad one.

The remaining pipes of my 87 are one or two of this or that, and I like it that way, very much, thank you.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Several Old Comoy and Savanelli, a couple Petersons, an eclectic mix of BBB, Bjarne, and a pile of Falcons.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
Let's see...

84 American Smoking Pipe Company - I am little biased, I've known Mark for years and I really like his pipes. About half of these are Christmas Pipes. Why? Year in and year out Mark makes a great pipe at a good price.
17 Charatans - I've had more but down sized to fewer nicer pipes. Can't seem to leave them alone
10 Rad Davis - I saw Rad at the CORPS show a few years ago and he had a table full of squashed tomatoes. I thought it was one of the most interesting shapes I had seen in years. I snagged 6 of them at that show. Then the prices went up.

He also is a great bargin even at today's prices
7 Alberto Bonfiglioli- Awesome pipes, way under priced, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I also like the fact that he always comes to the CORP show.
5 Jon Rinaldi- Again, met him at the CORPS show a bought my first pipe using my cell phone to pay him. Awesome pipes and I think he really under prices them.
2 Russ Cooke - You guessed it, CORPS show, newer pipe carver. I like the precision in his shapes and his prices.
1 Perry White - Bob Swanson makes a lot of Charatan type shapes, I had 4 of these at one point but traded 3 and kept the sand blast. It is a killer pipe.
I also have a couple Lee Von Erck and Michael Parks pipes - You have to pay a little more to get these but they are very nice. Lee with his classic danish and custom shapes and Michael with his precision.
Also have a few Stokkebyes and Jorgen Larsens - I'm trending back to Danish shapes
2 Dunhills - At one point I had over a hundred of these. I decided to focus more on American carvers

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well, many years ago I would have said Dunhill was the most common pipe brand in the 60+ pipes my wife and I had. Now out of the 26 pipes we currently own, we have no Dunhills. I would have to say the most common pipes we have would be a tie between Stanwell and Sasieni. (3 of each) We don't seem to collect pipes like we used to, now it's more about how we like the feel of the pipe, how it smokes, and of course, how much it costs. I think we're actually enjoying pipe smoking now more than we did in the 80s. (go figure, we had more money to spend on them then too, sheesh)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tinpan, that is one hell of a collection. There are some seriously nice makers in your stable. You should show us some pictures of them as we are whores for pipe pics.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
You should show us some pictures of them as we are whores for pipe pics.

Oh man, we'll see. I had no idea taking pictures would be so difficult. I thought I would simply photograph my Christmas pipe collection and it took me since Veteran's day and 2000 photos later before I even thought I had any shots halfway presentable. There are some pretty cool pipes in there though that a lot of folks may not be aware of like Rinaldi and Cooke

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I thinned down and managed my rotation recently to more closely stay to what I enjoy smoking rather than enjoy owning. Strange sounding when I explain it like that but I'm sure everyone understands. I had one heck of a time sorting and whittling my group down. Turned out to have the batches.

My rotation. 50 pipes. Then the overflow that while I discovered I rarely smoke them I just enjoy them so much I am keeping them as alternates. They are housed with the oddball collector piece or sentimental ones that I cherish. They are numbering right around 60 or there abouts. I am in middle of posting nearly 400 more on the bidding site in workable groups to purge the massive estate straglers I have hoarded over time.
If looking at my personal rotation for specific brands I am almost bummed to Dunhill beats the rest out. Even MY OWN are second in line at only 6 in my rotation!!. I have groups of three from quite a few. And singles along with no names threaded throughout making up the rest.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
1 Perry White - Bob Swanson makes a lot of Charatan type shapes, I had 4 of these at one point but traded 3 and kept the sand blast. It is a killer pipe.
I spent some time talking to Bob in Richmond. I came away very impressed with the man and his work.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I'm partial to Savinelli with 4 of them, then Petersons with 3 - all of my other 10 are from different makers.

They all smoke well.......but the balsa filter on the Savs......I must admit.....make a smoother smoke that I've come to like, so I'll probably acquire more.Ironically, I shied away from them because I thought they would impede the flavor - How wrong I was! Savs and Petes are - to me - the best looking pipes .....in the affordable range! Hey, I know - tastes are subjective!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Bump.
It's time for a recount ladies and gentlemen. I know my collection has changed drastically in the year or so since Peck posted this thread. We've also added some new forum members who might like to add their voice, so let's do a roll call and see what has been added or deleted in the intervening weeks since the last post here.
Current Collection - 40(ish) Pipes

Most represented brands/carvers - Comoys (4), Ryan Alden (3), Blatter & Blatter (3), Sasieni (2)

Looking to add more - Castellos, Parks, KB&B, Alden, Comoys, Sasieni, GBD, Calich & Vesz

Favourite smoking pipe in the collection - Castello Sea Rock Canadian

Looking to divest - Remaining Trypis pipes
-- Pat

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wish I could say I had a lot of any one pipe maker, especially Barling, but I do not. I like having a pipe or two from each of the old time makers, and am just about there. Time to hone in on one or two makers, and bit by bit, stem by stem, improve the collection. I am now hurting for a Castello! Hunting for one, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.