PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, if you are enjoying the Peter Gilliver work, I'd highly recommend; "The Surgeon of Crowthorne:"
Mayfair, I've read that one at least thrice already and several of Winchester's other books, he is a great writer who conducts in depth research into his subject afore putting pen to paper.
Another, much more detailed book is 'Caught In The Web Of Words' by K. M. Elisabeth Murray, granddaughter of the dictionaries first 'proper' editor James A H Murray.
One of the next books in my reading list is 'The Lexicographer's Dilemma' by American wordsmith Jack Lynch.
Regards,
Jay.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
About half way through Anabasis, by Xenophon. A Greek mercenary army of ten thousand men marches on Persia to help one brother overthrow another, in a bid to seize the throne. They have victory at the battle of Cunaxa (401 BC), but their Persian employer is killed in the fray. The book is about their march back out of enemy territory, from Babylon to the Greek colonies on the Black Sea, fighting their way through Persian armies, fortress cities, hill tribes, winter snows, starvation and exposure. A thrilling story, written by one of the Generals who led them out.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
"Life on the Mississippi", Mark Twain. It is a non-fiction account of his experiences as a river boat man.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've just bought 'God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything' by Christopher Hitchens and 'The Abolition of Britain: From Winston Churchill to Princess Diana' by his brother Peter Hitchens.
Both on great subjects and both written by highly acclaimed experts in their respective fields and I'm quite looking forward to getting my teeth into them :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

xavkitsune

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I've been reading "Contact Harvest" by Joseph Staten, and "Ghosts of Onyx" audio book by Eric Nylund, both books based on the Halo Franchise of games.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Only the Greatest Book ever written: Rand's Atlas Shrugged. This is the fifth re-read. She unvieks the only way to destroy the Statist once and for all. To bad the majority of business owners are locked in with Government per their Washington man (Lobbyists).
Levin's Rediscovering Americanism and the Tyranny of Progressivism, between chapters of AS.
Without Remorse was an awesome read, grouchydog.

tonywiebe33

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
Right now i am reading Game of Thrones, "A Dance with Dragons". Once i am finished its on to one of my favorite authors Clive Cussler and all his magnificent books. Have to say i own about 40+ of his great novels.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
""Ghosts of Onyx" audio book by Eric Nylund"
I have tried listening to audio books myself but for some reason I find my mind starting to wander after a while. I really should persevere because I think it great to have someone read to you.
Regards,
Jay.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Frank Ostaseski. “The Five Invitations”. What the living can learn from the dying - a Buddhist perspective.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
A group of my fellow Sherlockians and I have formed a “Wolfe Pack” to investigate the Rex Stout corpus of Nero Wolfe stories.

I just re-read Fer-De-Lance. Stout not only wrote fine detective stories, but they are also quite well written works of literature.

Up next is The League Of Frightened Men.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Yesterday i finished der wervandlung by Franz Kafka. Now on to something more contemporary, I'm a sucker for Dan Brown and I just bought his latest!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Language: 500 Years Of The Vulgar Tongue" by well known slang lexicographer Jonathon Green.
"The Disappearing Dictionary: A Treasury Of Lost English Dialect Words" by Professor David Crystal.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Patti Smith's "Devotion," a short book, 93 pages, which is a loosely joined essay on her pilgrimages, a long short story about an impassioned young woman skater that turns very dark indeed, and then a wrap-up in the essay mode again, a sort of prose poem on the impulse to write. She's an interesting rock musician and writer, turned home maker and mom, who returned to the music and literary scene in late middle age, a genuine and realized soul who Bob Dylan deputized to accept his Nobel Prize on his behalf. He later went to pick it up in a private event. I like Patti Smith's writing more than her music. I find her skewed forms pleasingly unconventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.