PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have two books on the go at the moment. The first is "Kingdom of The Blind" by Louise Penny. It's the 14th book in the Gamache series. If you haven't discovered Louise Penny then you are in for a treat. She has been #1 on the New York Times list more times than I can remember. A suggestion, read her books in order of publication.
My second book is "Fear", by Bob Woodward......... I think that's all I will say.
Edit: Lets make this a year long thread, added that to the title/Al

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I really enjoy those Gamache books by Louise Penny myself. Currently reading another mystery from a series I love, "Any Other Name" by Craig Johnson.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I just finishe Moby Dick (never had to read it in school, and glad about that! I wouldn’t have appreciated it then), and am moving on to another classic I never got around to; Don Quixote. I’m happy that I’ll be able to hopefully get more ideas where to go next from some of you guys on this thread.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Scientific Protocols for Fire Investigations, 3rd ed. John Lentini
For lighter reading ..... American Buffalo by Steven Rinella
The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965 by William Manchester

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Tonight I'm reading an O. Henry collection paperback, but I keep glancing towards the Hornblower on my shelf. As for long term, I'm working on Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln and constantly re-reading Hemingway's entire works.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Also constantly re-reading the Aubrey/Maturin series and Lonesome Dove by Larry Mcmurtry. On deck for this week are the remainder of Complete Works OF Poe which I'm half-way through, some early Faulkner sketches, The Military Dispatches of Arthur Wellesley the Duke of Wellington, Great Short Works of Herman Melville, and a few Richard Sharpe novels I haven't gotten to yet. My book consumption is like Jiminks tobacco rotation. If I didn't spend so much time reading, my post count would be at least 1,500 by now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://www.amazon.com/Heads-You-Win-Jeffrey-Archer/dp/1250172500
"Heads You Win", Jeffrey Archer. I was a fan of his "Clifton Chronicles" series that just wrapped in 2018. This new one wasn't as favorably received, but I'm enjoying it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My brother actually started a tradition this Christmas. I forget which exact country it is, but he said a Scandinavian country has a tradition of a book for Christmas which is opened and read on Christmas Eve. I got The Terror by Dan Simmons which I'm reading right now. Love Dan Simmons' writing. Got into him with his novel Drood which was really good.

Jan 8, 2013
I haven't read any yet this year, but I plan to read a few. Being a fantasy reader, I'm thinking about going back to what helped begin my love of the genre as a child, J.R.R. Tolkien. A few books over the last few years have been finished and published taking place in Middle Earth like The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings. I think it will be fun to read some old favorites along with them. I'm also a fan of Kristen Britain's Green Rider series and plan to get caught up with those books. Other than that, I've long wanted to re-read all the Shannara novels by Terry Brooks, as well as all those I've not yet read... partly to get the bad taste out of my mouth left by the tv series (season one was ok, but season two destroyed it). And I've always wanted to read the Seeker novels by Terry Goodkind. Add a few westerns and perhaps a sci-fi here and there, and I've a lot of reading to do this year.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Racing Through Paradise - A Pacific Passage

William F. Buckley Jr.
I tend to read a lot of sailing oriented books.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
In addition to dead tree books I'm a huge fan of digital and audio books. I have all three of the above books that I listed in digital form, but the "fire" is both digital and dead wood.
For audio books I have a huge selection of books to listen to while I'm doing windshield time.
The current audio book is 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Status
Not open for further replies.