What Blend Have You Discovered This Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
My use of the word "discovered" is more a kin to "developed a taste for" than it is some sort of new find.
In 2017 I discovered C&D's Star of the East and Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique. I've had both blends in my cellar for several years now, but every time I smoked them I set the pipe down in disappointment. However, for some reason in the past six months both blends have managed to move into prime spots in my rotation.
I've had similar "hate it then; love it now" experiences with other blends as well, which always serves as a reminder that what I don't like in my cellar today I may grow to appreciate tomorrow.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
If there is a contender, it's St.Bruno. My first pouch arrived yesterday!
Packed and lit with great anticipation, the first bowl wasn't bad at all.
I will smoke a lot of it this weekend.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
A lot of the different C&D blends,a few years ago I didn't care for any of there blends now I have over 2 dozen blends and there all good.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I’m going to give the Cru no. 2 a go, thanks for the recommend.
Hal O The Wynd has been a blend that has come to life for me. Especially when Im craving Virginia’s more than Latakia in the cold weather.

Mar 29, 2016
Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Condor Long Cut, Warrior Plug and Revor Plug. I went on a OTC binge and those are the winners.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My new discoveries? I can think of several and they all make the “cellar DEEP” list.
1.) HU Sissinghurst

2.) HU Daddy Gefftl

3.) HU Hadde’s Best Irish

4.) GL Pease Temple Bar

and not technically found this year but more of a rediscovery of sorts....
5.) Sam Gawith Kendal Cream
You folks that are digging St. Bruno and/or traditionally scented British baccy would certainly find something you’d like in selections 1, 2, 3 & 5. I’m amazed at how well Hans can pull off a scented tobacco, in fact, I’m gonna go ahead and say that I like his scented stuff more than GH&Co’s.... excluding Dark Flake scented, cause that one is perfect.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'm new to the pipe lifestyle, but in my short 6 months, I've really found a liking towards Early Morning Pipe as well as Luxury Twist Flake. Both all day smokers for me.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I discovered Anniversary Kake, which is now my favorite blend. Other highlights include: HU Fayyum Kake, a bowl of 2007 Classic Samsun, trying Penzance and Stonehaven for the first time (and loving both), and realizing I could probably smoke Chatham Manor only every day for the rest of my life.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Haddo’s Delight is another I’ve discovered this year. I blame Stonehenge, it really opened up my taste buds for different tobacco genres.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I discovered Virginias and VaPers, which just opened up a whole new world.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I've only been smoking a pipe for 1 year so every blend I tried was new for me. Some hits and some misses, notables for me were FM on the town, Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, Amphora Original.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
You folks that are digging St. Bruno and/or traditionally scented British baccy would certainly find something you’d like in selections 1, 2, 3 & 5.
Thanks Hawk!! They're on my next list. :worship:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
This year has been an interesting and wonderful tobacco year for me. The three tobaccos that I have discovered this year are:
1) Capstan in the blue tin (Now I am trying to decide which virginia blend I should try next)

2) Both D&R Rimboche blends

3) MM Country Gentleman (This has become my first thing in the morning smoke which means I need to find a new place for OGS)
Finally, I am excited for Christmas morning to find out what my secret santa has sent. If it is something new, then maybe I can end the year with a new favorite.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
So I have just started back with the pipe this January after watching LOTR gave me an itch. I tried a few OTC blends but they just didn't do it for me. A friend of mine gave me a pinch of Nightcap one evening in March and the snowball was started. Of the ninety or so blends I have purchased this year, there are about 25 stand outs. Around the top of my list is: War horse bar, Quiet nights, Bayou night, Billy Budd, and Big and Burley with a pinch of chopped cigar leaf added.

Status
Not open for further replies.