What Are Your Secret and Time-Tested Methods for Healing Wounded Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Most of my pipes can be considered to be elders. They've each had their moment in the sun, so to speak. Along the way, many, perhaps most, have suffered abuse and mistreatment from their owner, meaning me. I've smoked them without patience; too fast, too hot, and too much without rest. I've smoked them with in the car with the window rolled down, I've smoked them on the run, in the wind, and used a torch lighter to keep them lit.

For me, their will be no pipe purgatory.

But, late in my life, I've come to see the error of my youthful folly and I've reflected. I have revisited each of my pipes and now follow my father's advice to break them in slowly, with moderation, and using pipe loads that start from minimal and work themselves to full loads - in time. Even though theses pipes have been smoked for decades, I am seeing improvement. My pipes are rebuilding the carbon cake - correctly, layered properly, and are now burning more cooly, consistently, and needing few relights.

But most of all, as I've scraped away the older carbon, I am seeing divits, burn marks, and embered scarred cracks being coved up by smooth and flawless coats of carbon.

Here is a picture of a burned crack I uncovered and am now working to re coat with carbon:

tempImageOoAtQz.jpg
In the next couple of days, the flaw will be cleanly and wonderfully coated by a fine layer of carbon. When I later scrap eat inside of the bowl with my reamer, it will reveal a perfectly smooth walled and circular chamber.

It's like medicine.

I am a doctor after all.

What about you. Do you work with your pipes to heal their wounds? If so , what are some of your secret and time-tested methods.

Reactions: Papamique and seanv

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
My time tested wound cures have mostly to do with exterior finishes, color correction and luster restoration. Does that qualify for the purpose of this post? I’ve never had a mechanical issue with any pipe I’ve owned.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My time tested wound cures have mostly to do with exterior finishes, color correction and luster restoration. Does that qualify for the purpose of this post? I’ve never had a mechanical issue with any pipe I’ve owned.
Not just qualified, but precisely on point. Sanding, touching up, polishing, gluing, etc. Pipe care is an on going adventure of care.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are experienced with a reamer, ream away, but if not, go slow and gradual. It's a fun tool, but you can ream the life out of a pipe in short order. A friend had a friend with a reamer who offered to clean up his pipes and he basically destroyed the whole rack.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I don't know much, but I have mistaken damaged cake for a damaged bowl before. When I build a poorly maintained cake and it begins to crumble and flake off it looks like burned wood to me. In my case, once I removed the cake I found smooth (and I guess healthy) briar underneath.

I like to soften the cake with a moist paper towel. Then I can gently scrape it off. I use the scraper from a pipe tool for this. The cake comes off very easily and smoothly this way and I think there is much less chance of hurting the briar. Moisten, scrape, repeat.

Reactions: telescopes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If you are experienced with a reamer, ream away, but if not, go slow and gradual. It's a fun tool, but you can ream the life out of a pipe in short order. A friend had a friend with a reamer who offered to clean up his pipes and he basically destroyed the whole rack.
how the heck do people do that. The first time I reamed a pipe I was so nervous and then found out if you pay even a little attention it's easy a pie.

Reactions: jpmcwjr