What Are Your Favorite Virginia / Burley Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I've been on a VA / Burley kick lately and I've been enjoying them immensely. Of course, many are not pure VA / Burley but have other tobaccos as well. Pegasus, although more than 50% burley, has black cavendish too. Delicious IMHO. Cumberland has Perique as do many others. It is another favorite. I've tried Watch City Slices but I need to smoke more bowls before I judge it. The same with Three Friars. I just smoked my first bowl of HH Burley Flake and I loved it.

What are your favorite Virginia / Burley Blends?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I had an aged tin of Briar Fox but now I can't find it. Darn.

I know the feeling. I spent an hour this morning digging around looking for an aged blend that I was craving and couldn't find it. Lol.

I bought a 16 oz brick of Briar Fox back in 2012 that I'm still slowly smoking through. I don't smoke this blend all that often, but when I do it really hits the spot.

Reactions: RonB and kurtbob

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Solani Silver is tops for me.

Some other highly rated Va/Burs

G. L. Pease - JackKnife Plug (New World Collection)142
★
★
★
★
Virginia/Burley

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I don't consider blends with dark fired in them to be VaBurs. To me, those are all VaPers. puffy
Aren't there blends with Dark Fired but without Perique? HH Old Dark Fired? What about Cumberland? It only has a small amount of Perique and Dark Fired, I think.

I know it is hard to categorize a lot of blends. They "blend" into various categories haha.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of favorites, but since it may not be mentioned otherwise, I'd say Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, flavored with three liqueurs, pretty chi-chi for a codger pouch/tub blend, and nicely balanced.

Aren't there blends with Dark Fired but without Perique? HH Old Dark Fired? What about Cumberland? It only has a small amount of Perique and Dark Fired, I think.

I know it is hard to categorize a lot of blends. They "blend" into various categories haha.
It's just my own classification process. I also call "yellow" blue. This was it keeps us on our toes, so that we don't just start taking words for granted. puffy
It's my own mini rebellion against those who don't call VaPers with dark fired, VaPers... even though they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.