What Are Your Favorite Christmas Albums/Songs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Albums:
John Denver - Rocky Mountain Christmas
Vince Guiraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas
Lincoln Brewster - Joy to the World
Relient K - Let it snow baby - Make it Rein Deer
Tony Bennett & the Count Basie Orchestra - A Swingin Christmas
Rebecca St. James - Christmas

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Gosh, hard to narrow down. I'll try. Your mileage will probably vary.

Favorite songs:

Sleigh Ride (either Leroy Anderson or Arthur Fielder Boston Pops versions) -- my MOST favorite of all
The Holly & the Ivy (anybody's version, don't care -- I just love the song, period.
Do They Know It's Christmas (Band Aid)

Favorite albums:
A Christmas Cornucopia (Annie Lennox)
Winter's Dance (Golden Bough)

Bill

Reactions: philobeddoe

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Natalie Cole - Holly & Ivy
Windham Hill Winter's Solstice albums
Various TSO albums
The Tenors - The Perfect Gift
Sugarland - Gold and Green
Triple Double-Plus Good on TSO! They're not my absolute fave, but a Christmas without them (OR Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales) just ain't Christmas for me.

One of the innumerable things I'm indebted to My Dear Old Dad for is the Dylan Thomas thing. A Christmas doesn't go by that I don't play it at LEAST 3-4 times.

Bill

Reactions: edger and Elric

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Triple Double-Plus Good on TSO! They're not my absolute fave, but a Christmas without them (OR Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales) just ain't Christmas for me.

One of the innumerable things I'm indebted to My Dear Old Dad for is the Dylan Thomas thing. A Christmas doesn't go by that I don't play it at LEAST 3-4 times.

Bill

My son and I saw them in concert one year a week or so before Christmas. Somehow got 6th row seats. What a show!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My favorite song changes over time. Right now, it's probably "The Holly and the Ivy", of traditional songs. I tend to like it a capella.
Of secular songs, "All Alone on Christmas" by Darlene Love, and Lennon's "Happy Xmas".
Albums: The previously mentioned "Charlie Brown Christmas", and the Phil Spector Christmas album. I would also add
  • A Holiday Celebration by Peter, Paul, and Mary
  • The Joy of Christmas, Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  • O Holy Night, Kurt Herbert Adler conducting the National Philharmonic with Luciano Pavarotti
Those last two are long time favorites, but not ones I listen to more then once a year. Charlie Brown and PPM are good for repeating during the season. Darlene Love is just good old fashioned R&B that is worth a listen almost any time.

Reactions: aquadoc

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I've been listening to the Classical Christmas station on Pandora. Lots of good orchestral and piano Christmas songs. Nice background music for this time of year.
LawDawg, are you a UGA grad?

Also, to answer the question, the Supremes Christmas album, any of the Rat Pack Christmas albums are on the turntable spinning at any given time,....

Reactions: Papamique

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Phil Spectors "A Christmas Gift to You", best holiday album of all time. We saw Ronnie a few years back, she can still bring it!

The Fairytale of NY - already mentioned

This one always chokes me up, who saw the Pretenders doing a traditional Christmas song?

This one as well, with a genuinely crazy video

This is my all time favorite single song, but hadn't ever seen the video until a few years ago. The Kinks released this before their 2nd resurgence (ahead of the Low Budget era).

These are great choices!

Reactions: B_Rock

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm not a big Christmas music person. Usually anything playing in the background is acceptable.

That being said, a good classic version of Silent Night is the absolute best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For your smart speaker, the Leon Redbone holiday album I like so much is "Christmas Island."

Status
Not open for further replies.