PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Been trying to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+, the latest StarWars spinoff. Trying, because it's so portentous and weighty that I can barely tolerate it. I probably shouldn't have sat through the opening montage of backstory from the bloated portentous and weighty prequels.

The experience reminds me of a scene from Amadeus, when Mozart is complaining how Italian opera is filled with gods and goddesses so stiff that they practically "shit marble". Same problem here.

When we first come across Leia playing hooky from a social engagement, the music has a grand majesty that immediately announces this kid as portentous and weighty, not with any youthfulness or humor.

Indeed so far there is little humor or brashness, qualities of the original Lawrence Kasdan scripts that made the original so enjoyable, in its place is so much spiritual importance that I'm looking for the slot in my TV when I should pay my tithe.

I'm not interested in worshiping at the altar of StarWars. I want to be entertained by it.

2 out of 5 - 5 out of 5 for the painstaking production and photography - minus 3 for the writing and scoring.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Here are some brief reviews of shows that I watched recently .

1. The Strain - It's an older series about vampires and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. - 4 /5.
2. Outer Range on Amazon Prime (1st season) - About time travel, it's a little weird and hard to follow, so you have to pay close attention, but it's not bad. The ending to the 1st season is intriguing and probably pulled me in for the 2nd season. - 3.5/5.
3. Grant on The History Channel - Absolutely fantastic! very well done and researched, lot's of depth, very entertaining and informative. I'm a bit of a Civil War fanatic and this was fantastic, to get into the mind of the General. Lot's of great research material, including the letters he had written, speeches he made, risks and gambles that he took, breakdowns of the various battles and his decisions about how to fight them, and a very interesting look at his life before the war. - 5/5.
4. Theodore Roosevelt on The History Channel - Also very good, almost as good as Grant although more politically inclined, but still very well done and informative. - 4.5/5.
5. American Ripper on The History Channel - About the evil, eccentric and insane serial killer H. H. Holmes and the possibility that he and Jack the Ripper could have been the same man. Very well researched and informative with lot's of grisly details about the killings and the murder house that he built. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 5/5.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
After making a casual comment on the thread 'RIP Ray Liotta', Chris aka smudgersmissingleg was astonished that I'd never seen the film Goodfellas, following comments from other members seemed to suggest I was the only person on the planet who had not seen this supposedly top notch mafia tale (I always assumed Goodfellas was a pizza company).

A DVD purchase was made via Amazon and I watched it last night. Way, way better than the Sopranos in my book (I had to stop watching that after disc 4 or 5 through boredom), this actually had a story you could follow and what a story it was though I don't understand why the black guy got shot.

Based on a true story, it's the tale of the rise and fall of a mafia guy who turned supergrass to save his own tail......but you all know that already don't you ;)

My rating system gives it 8/10 or 3.5/5 in the US system......well worth the £2:46 it cost to buy so thanks Chris for the prompt.....and no, it won't be shoved up your nostril :LOL:

View attachment 148752

Also, having now watched it I recognise Ray Liotta from something else I've seen but can't put my finger on, also the lady who plays his wife Carrie, I recognise her too.

Regards,

Jay.
One of my all-time favorite movies?

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Pistol, the mini-series about the Sex Pistols, is on Hulu - loved it 5/5. Just saw a negative review calling it more junk than punk though, so...ymmv. I thought the actors nailed the mannerisms of the musicians, especially of Steve Jones and John Lydon.
1654644131424.png

Watched Angelyne on Peacock, and didn't really care for it. 2.5/5. The whole thing was just kinda sad. Thumbs up to Emmy Rossum though. If you didn't know she was in it, you wouldn't have guessed it.
1654644228049.png

Watched Pam and Tommy on Hulu as well. 3/5. It has it's moments and I liked Nick Offerman in it. The character of Pam Anderson was really believable, but the Tommy Lee actor/character looked like a twerp.
1654644010715.png

Currently watching and about halfway through the series, 30 Rock on Peacock. Solid comedy series. 5/5. Not a fan of Alec Baldwin's politics, but he's a great actor.
1654644285737.png

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
SpongeBob SquarePants - 5/5
PKqg39bl.jpg

The Mandalorian - 5/5
9WquLkDl.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been watching this on youtube with my 3 year old daughter:

r1me8-AHBC7J1ZNJ9-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1573836264265._RI_.jpg

As a parent I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It holds my daughter's attention well and I can watch it too or at least not be annoyed by it playing in the background.

I do like his (gecko's) accent and how the robots are called "mechanicals".

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though I bought this in August 2020 (along with The Pacific), I only just got around to watching it.

I am talking of the Band of Brothers boxset.

I'd read a few reviews on Amazon and thought it sounded like it might be a good series to watch. Well all I can say is WOW. This has to be the best without equal of all war films I have ever watched, it really was that good.

I binge watched it over the last 4 days and was hugely impressed. I've never been in combat but I reckon the scenes in this series were as close to the real thing as one is likely to get. None of the typical Hollywood overdoing of everything to the point of making it unbelievable, the battle scenes in Band of Brothers were just as I imagined they really were.

It was great to follow 'Easy Company' from their intense training all the way through their contribution to the allied war effort right up to the end of the war. It was also great to hear from the actual survivors from the group that were still alive at the time of filming. What a brave bunch of guys they were.

A very rare for me award of 10/10 for this absolute masterpiece.....this is how all films should be made.

Next up is The Pacific, also bought August 2020.

bob.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've re-upped my Disney+ subscription for a couple of months because I wanted to see Danny Boyle's Pistol and the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series.

I was looking around for other stuff to watch and saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was on there. Even though i've seen it a few times before it's one of those movies you can watch multiple times over the years.
Redford and Newman have such amazing chemistry.

Easy 5/5

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Finished Stranger Things Season 4 a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it, but not as much as past seasons. I got bored with the lab scenes with Eleven and Dr. Martin Brennan (Papa), Matthew Modine. I also found the long haired pizza delivery guy really annoying. I rate it 3/5.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Barry - dark comedy available on HBO.

3.5/5

Barry | Official Website for the HBO Series | HBO.com - https://www.hbo.com/barry

Disillusioned at the thought of taking down another "mark," depressed, low-level hit man Barry Berkman seeks a way out.

When the Midwesterner reluctantly travels to Los Angeles to execute a hit on an actor who is bedding a mobster's wife, little does Barry know that the City of Angels may be his sanctuary.

He follows his target into acting class and ends up instantly drawn to the community of eager hopefuls, especially dedicated student Sally, who becomes the object of his affection.

While Barry wants to start a new life as an actor, his handler, Fuches, has other ideas, and the hit man's criminal past won't let him walk away so easily.

p15032712_b_v10_aa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.