PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
"X", a 1970's style horror film (set in '79). Well done, 4/5

A24 releases great horror movies, anytime I see A24, it’s a must see. I see this is a Ti West film, was it really gory? Not too big on gore. Though, not all his movies are gore, I really like The House of the Devil, which also was a 70’s style horror.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Masha and the Bear. Depending on where you watch (YouTube has both) you may or may not get the English version. As near as I can tell the Russian and English versions are identical except the words visible are (mostly) changed and there's really no spoken words in the English version. I have no idea if real words or just babble are being spoken in the Russian version.

I think I can give this a 3.5 but sometimes Masha is just a bit to bratty/obnoxious to give it a higher rating.

View attachment 141006
This is one that I can actually watch with my daughter, it’s entertaining for adults, very well done.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Now watching Season 21 of Midsomer Murders on Britbox. The series is a very solid mystery series with engaging characters.

5 out of 5
Which Barnaby is your favorite? If I had to pick one, Nettles would be my pick but Neil Dudgeon grew on me. I guess it all depends on when you started watching. I haven’t seen the most recent series.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Which Barnaby is your favorite? If I had to pick one, Nettles would be my pick but Neil Dudgeon grew on me. I guess it all depends on when you started watching. I haven’t seen the most recent series.
Nettles and particularly Jane Wymark were fun to watch. But Dudgeon has grown into the series wonderfully well. Somehow, this series hasn't lost it's spark, even after over two decades.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Nettles and particularly Jane Wymark were fun to watch. But Dudgeon has grown into the series wonderfully well. Somehow, this series hasn't lost it's spark, even after over two decades.
I agree, I have fond memories of watching that show with my parents. I love those British whodunnit shows! Broadchurch is another one I really enjoy, the chemistry between the two detectives works great, the downside is, there are only 3 seasons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A London talent agency’s employees must scramble to keep their star clients happy and their business afloat after the sudden death of their founder.

TEN PERCENT - WATCH ONLINE: STREAMING, BUY OR RENT​

Ten Percent will be available to stream on Amazon Prime Video. The release date is yet to be announced, which I believe was announced, and is tomorrow.

A London talent agency’s employees must scramble to keep their star clients happy and their business afloat after the sudden death of their founder.

TEN PERCENT - WATCH ONLINE: STREAMING, BUY OR RENT​

Ten Percent will be available to stream on Amazon Prime Video. The release date is yet to be announced, which I believe was announced, and is tomorrow.
Please rate your movie/series on of a 5 point scale. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought the series Westworld was very good. Good acting, lots of plot changes and I do enjoy a good western/sci fi genre. 4/5 for me.
I've just finished Season 1, and wondering if there's something written that covers the whole year, so I can understand more.

4/5, HBOMax, which I joined just to watch Westworld.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Watched the latest trailer for the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series that's premiering at the end of the month. I hope the show lives up to the trailer because it looks really good.

On the flip side I also just watched the latest trailer for the new series about the Sex Pistols called "Pistol" and i'm not convinced. Hopefully Danny Boyle can pull it out the bag.

Obi-Wan Kenobi trailer:

Pistol trailer:

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Tonight is the premier of Operation Mincemeat on Netflix. True story, and subject of a Ben McIntyre book that I loved. Looking forward to it.

Previously finished watching my DVDs of Winds of War and Once an Eagle. 5/5 stars for the first, but only 3/5 for the second, since it altered a few of the book's essential threads.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I've just finished Season 1, and wondering if there's something written that covers the whole year, so I can understand more.

4/5, HBOMax, which I joined just to watch Westworld.
Just keep watching things heat up in a good and twisted way. If you don't like it, I will watch dora for an hour for my punishment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Britbox continues to deliver gems. This time it's The Last Detective, a slightly offbeat police procedural starring Peter Davison as DC Davies, a too nice guy in a not so nice world. Considered a joke by his cynical colleagues who have nicknamed him "Dangerous" because they think he isn't, or "The Last Detective" because he's the last one who would be chosen, separated from his wife, who found him too boring, Davies navigates his world of north London as best he can. The series is well plotted and effortlessly moves between drama and a gently goofy character driven comedy.
Dig beyond the top rows of promoted series and you might find some enjoyable entertainment.

5 out of 5

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Currently watching The Staircase on HBO (first watch the documentary on Netflix). So far, I think it’s a great series and Michael Peterson was a pipe smoker so there is some good PS action! So far I give it a 5/5. Total of 8 episodes with a 3 episode premier, new episodes released on Thursdays.

I think he did it!

Last edited:
I just started watching the Book of Boba Fett (Disney+). I think it's interesting that The Mandalorian was more like what one would expect for Boba Fett, whereas the actual series about Boba Fett is more like Sherriff Lobo, ha ha. But, I am enjoying it so far... even if I am not a Star Wars fan. It is slow going on the first four or so episodes, but I guess Sherriff Lobo, I mean... Boba Fett needs some character re-development. Good stuff, and I love the way it seems so wide open with the way these SW series are filmed/digitally created. 5/5.
1652357635763.png

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I think you’re being very generous to give Star Trek Picard a 2/5. Just my opinion.

Re-watching News Radio. What a cast. Excellent writing for a network sit-com. One of the few shows that will consistently make me laugh out loud.

4/5 overall with a lot of episodes getting a 5/5.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I just started watching the Book of Boba Fett (Disney+). I think it's interesting that The Mandalorian was more like what one would expect for Boba Fett, whereas the actual series about Boba Fett is more like Sherriff Lobo, ha ha. But, I am enjoying it so far... even if I am not a Star Wars fan. It is slow going on the first four or so episodes, but I guess Sherriff Lobo, I mean... Boba Fett needs some character re-development. Good stuff, and I love the way it seems so wide open with the way these SW series are filmed/digitally created. 5/5.
View attachment 144842
I just finished Binging Mandalorian and Book of Boba fett last week. I really enjoyed them also would give it 5/5 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.