PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Watched Oldboy on Netflix. It was an American remake of a 2003 Korean film of the same name.

I saw the original with some shipmates when we were stationed overseas. Thought I'd check out the American version, which was just as good.

Plot overview:
While drunk one night, Joe Doucette (Josh Brolin) is kidnapped and thrown into solitary confinement in a bizarre, private prison. For the next 20 years, Joe suffers unimaginable torment, but the motive and identity of his captor remain unknown. When he is inexplicably set free, Joe emerges with one goal: to find the person who stole two decades of his life.

Worth a watch. 4/5*
download (8).jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Kobra Kai... my wife keeps begging me to "stop! It's horrible... just stop!!" but I am so invested at this point. I have to know whether Daniel and Johnny can beat Silver's protégé. Will Kreese get out of prison? What will happen then? The state of the All Valley Tournament hangs in the balance... Ha ha, at this point, I think I am just watching it in hopes that something gets better, ha ha. Plus, they do have some ok fight scenes, and some cool music from time to time.
I give it a 2/5, just because...
View attachment 171510
Your wife is a smart lady.
Rating it is 2/5 is generous. I couldn't finish this new season. It's horrible. The first season was the best. Just my opinion. I also feel the same with Stranger Things. More isn't always better.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My neighbour put me on to this and I'm so glad he did.

'Darkest Hour' is a 2017 film about Churchill's early years as PM just as WWII was getting underway.

Excellent performances by all concerned, Gary Oldman as Churchill, the late great Ronald Pickup as Chamberlain....all top notch so a well deserved 4/5 from this viewer.

Several snippets made me laugh such as when Churchill was in front of the King for the first time after becoming Prime Minister.

King: You know we have to meet every week?

Churchill: Yes Sir, I do know that.

King: Shall we say every Monday at 4PM?

Churchill: But I nap at 4PM.

King: (somewhat flabbergasted by that answer) Is not normal?

Churchill: No sir, but it is essential.

View attachment 171492

Regards,

Jay.
A truly bravura performance by Oldman and a great film!

“I'm getting the job only because the ship is sinking. It's not a gift, it's revenge.”

“Will you stop interrupting me, while I am interrupting you!”

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
1928; 1941; above is 1946, and last one I know is 1981 with Angie Dickinson and Michael Caine.

Have you seen any of the others?
Only the Brian DePalma directed film and only once, lol. Seems to be more widely appreciated now than when released (in some ways like Basic Instinct, IMO). I'm a Caine fan and I guess the world needed to see more of a well preserved Angie, but it definitely throws in the kitchen sink and touches all the thriller/psycho bases! Never seen the Lloyd Nolan as Michael Shayne, or the silent film. Interestingly, none of them have anything in common except the title -- as you know the Sherlock version is a loose blend of a couple of Doyle stories, but it's fun.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
If you are a bit morbid and not afraid of foul language and imagery the new Netflix Jeffery Dahmner series is 5/5 creep factor , , period accurate world design , good acting, realistic dialogue
Just got done watching the series and it was fantastic. Agree with your assessment of accuracy. Evan Peters (American Horror Story) was amazing capturing the nuances of creepy and deadened character of Jeffrey. A MUST WATCH!!

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Just finished Stranger Things season 4...meh 3/5. Not nearly as good as the first two seasons but not bad.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I started watching Fingers at the Window yesterday while eating lunch...so far, so good. I'll finish it today.
I found the plot interesting and then was surprised how it later got used (no idea on intent) in a somewhat similar way in one and identical in the other at the end in the Holmes movies they showed.

Rathbone is really good in the movie where he takes over the woman’s house - it’s kind of creepy and good!

Status
Not open for further replies.