PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've been a huge Foo Fighters fan since they got started.

Today I watched the Wembly tribute concert to Taylor Hawkins, their longtime drummer, who passed away from drug abuse a few months ago. The concert was rad!

Available on Paramount+ 5/5*
Taylor_Hawkins_Tribute_Wembley_and_LA_line-ups_630x720.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Outpost In Morocco with George Raft. 3/5 an oldie black and white movie. I mention this movie only because in one scene George Raft’s character is packaging the Commandant’s personal belongings which includes a figurative meerschaum pipe.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
LOTR Rings of Power 3.5

Its fine. If I want pure cannon..i read the books (which are great by the way!). The show is not great..but not the total pile of horse droppings many are calling it. Remember The Hobbit films? Those too are poopy and yet the Tolkien Universe lives on.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The rings of power. So far, great photography. I think that ultra fans should rejoice in the style of Marvel comics fans and be grateful to have a story in the Arda universe without measuring how much things deviate from the Cannon... For me it's a 3/5.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Britbox - I rate it 4/5. Half way through season two...I'm really enjoying it.
1662380544809.png
Filmed in picturesque Bath, England. My wife and I are going to London in 2023, so Bath is on our list of places to visit.

A shy and enigmatic Detective Sergeant is partnered with a wildly ambitious Detective Chief Inspector to solve crimes in the historic city of Bath.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I watched episode 1 of Rings of Power. I feel like it's too early to make a judgment on a series that takes place is a largely unrecorded period of Middle Earth history. From the time that the details of the show were announced, I expected a gloriously high budget fan fiction. I loved the Jackson films, and didn't get too upset that there were elves at Helms deep, or that Merry and Pippin basically became the leaders at the Entmoot and lead them into battle. (Far too hasty) So far I like it, but there's a long way to go before we see how the story unfolds and I'm all too familiar with a show starting off well and taking a drastic turn at any point. Anyway, so far so good to me. 4/5

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am watching two more of the Star Wars spin offs on the Disney channel, Boba Fett and The Mandelorian. There not bad but I've only watch two episodes of each.

3/5.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
On the newer stuff I am watching She-Hulk and it is just a hoot. Taking into account that the plot is preposterous She-Hulk is about a female attorney who gets into a car wreck with her cousin Bruce Banner (Hulk). They're both cut and some of his blood leaks into her body. Voila!! She-Hulk. She's not as big (only 6'7"), not as violent, and can control when she turns into a hulk and when she wants to come out. She isn't as strong as the Hulk but fairly close. An unlike Bruce Banner everybody knows who she is. Fired by her old firm because she couldn't prosecute anybody (mistrials galore because she's She-Hulk} she takes a job with a law firm that specializes in representing clients who are super villains. Okay, it's much better than I described it. Only three episodes so but more coming every Thursday.

4/5

Reactions: scloyd

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it.
It offers a much different perspective on the man. I especially liked the insight re his relationships with Borg and Gerulaitis.
5/5
The only minor criticism I had, and obviously he basically crafted it, was by the end it seemed like he had probably apologized enough about not being the best father the first time around and mentioned more than enough about his own father not being real affectionate --- I guess it was somewhat cathartic for him, but it started to seem a little redundant to me --- I think he made the point enough that some of that could have been cut out in favor of a little more along the lines of relationships with other players/life on Tour/etc. So it was really more a memoir of sorts and I thought it was great, just thought maybe it was about 15 minutes too long. Loved listening to him and he is frank and to the point.

Reactions: LotusEater

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
The only minor criticism I had, and obviously he basically crafted it, was by the end it seemed like he had probably apologized enough about not being the best father the first time around and mentioned more than enough about his own father not being real affectionate --- I guess it was somewhat cathartic for him, but it started to seem a little redundant to me --- I think he made the point enough that some of that could have been cut out in favor of a little more along the lines of relationships with other players/life on Tour/etc. So it was really more a memoir of sorts and I thought it was great, just thought maybe it was about 15 minutes too long. Loved listening to him and he is frank and to the point.
I agree the last bit could have been left on the cutting room floor but I think he was trying to bring things full circle- it was probably important to him to show that he was still looking for something from his father and not getting it right up to the end.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
The Old Man- 4 Lithgow and the Dude are always good.
Servant-4 Good if you like M. Night type of stuff

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
download (8).jpeg
Excellent documentary. Beautiful photographs of Ingrid Bergman, Ernest Hemingway, James Dean, Clark Gable, Liz Taylor, Bogart, and many others. Some of the pics are truly haunting. The only weak points are the more contemporary pics--especially of Sean Penn with freshly pumped biceps and cigarette trying to look as tough as possible. But even that part, silly though it is, serves as a point of contrast with, say, Bogart showing real toughness, allowing magnum photographers to shoot him looking vulnerable without his toupee. 5 stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.