PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
Vikings - Just finished the last episode of the last season available on Amazon. I rate the show as a whole 5/5 one of my all time favorite. I don’t want to give anything away for those that haven’t seen it. So I will just say the earlier seasons were much better in my opinion.
E1D6B0FB-FF59-4FCD-BB56-A74943554F3D.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
It is a comedy/crime drama without over emphasizing either. An out of favor police officer who caused a public relations uproar due to a botched police raid is assigned to a newly created unit charged with solving cold cases. She staffs the unit with three retired detectives, the " old dogs". These guys are characters whose disdain for BS and authority and using old school methods that don't meet modern standards of political correctness or due process gets the job done. The humor is subtle and has a very human touch as they struggle with the changed times and their personal character flaws. Like with most BBC productions the cast is wonderful.
I probably didn't do the show justice with this review. I have, as my wife says, a "Very different sense of humor". Can't argue with her. I believe it is worth a look especially if you enjoy programs like "Morse" and "Endeavor". New Tricks reminds me of those shows but not quite so serious and with humor in the background.

If you like New Tricks and Morse you may like a British police show from the 1970's called 'The Sweeney.' It stars John Thaw (Morse) and Dennis Waterman (New Tricks.)

It's about the squad of officers tasked with taking down armed robbers and is considered a classic over here in England.

I've absolutely no idea if it's available in the US but if you can find it, it's well worth a watch.

Here's the trailer for the first series:

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
If you like New Tricks and Morse you may like a British police show from the 1970's called 'The Sweeney.' It stars John Thaw (Morse) and Dennis Waterman (New Tricks.)

It's about the squad of officers tasked with taking down armed robbers and is considered a classic over here in England.

I've absolutely no idea if it's available in the US but if you can find it, it's well worth a watch.

Here's the trailer for the first series:

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll certainly take a look.

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
Carnival Row - Rating 4/5
We just finished this series up and have to say it’s pretty darn good. It’s sort of a gritty/magical thriller with all kinds of different species of humans. I definitely recommend if you like this sort of thing.
1612153927449.jpeg

Reactions: kg.legat0
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched "Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer" on Amazon Prime.

It's a documentary about what lead to this American politician famously sticking a gun in his mouth and blowing his brains out on camera back in '87.

I'd seen the footage of him shooting himeself but never knew anymore than that. From what I can tell he was a decent man who got screwed over.

It was a good documentary about an interesting (if sad) story. 4/5

Trailer:

Jun 9, 2018
England
Man Bites Dog on YouTube. Somebody has uploaded the full movie (with subtitles) but YouTube wouldn't allow me to copy a link as the film is age - restricted. Just put in the title with "full movie" added after and it'll come up. I have however added a link to the trailer.

It's a film from 1993 set in Belgium. The story basically involves a small film crew following round a psychopath as he goes about his daily business murdering people in a variety of ways for fun and profit.

It is violent but also very funny with some great dialogue.

I saw it when it first came out and my rating today is the same as it was 28 years ago. 5/5

Jun 9, 2018
England
I mentioned "Duelling banjos" in another thread recently which got me to thinking about Deliverance. I'd not watched it in a while so decided to rent it from Amazon Prime.

Great movie with a brilliant cast, if you've never seen it you should rectify that situation asap. It's even got some pipe smoking in it. Jon Voight's character smokes one and to my untrained eye he looked to be doing it for real.

5/5

Trailer:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just finished season two of Cobra Kai on Netflix. Moving on to season three.

It's a bit cheesy, but it's fun/entertaining. If you enjoyed The Karate Kid back in the 80's...you might enjoy Cobra Kai. I rate season 1, 4/5 and season 2, 3/5.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just finished season two of Cobra Kai on Netflix. Moving on to season three.

It's a bit cheesy, but it's fun/entertaining. If you enjoyed The Karate Kid back in the 80's...you might enjoy Cobra Kai. I rate season 1, 4/5 and season 2, 3/5.

I loved Cobra Kai, especially the first series. It's worth watching just for William Zabka's character Johnny Lawrence. The way he's so old school is really funny and he has the best dialogue.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Netflix UK just uploaded Easy Rider so I watched it again.

Brilliant movie that Fonda and Hopper wrote, directed and stared in. The opening where they're riding their bikes to the sound of 'Born To Be Wild' has got to be one of the iconic moments in American cinema.

Peter Fonda's character Wyatt is just so cool. From his look, his clothes, his bike, the way he talks, all of it. Just so damn cool?.
Special shout out for the soundtrack as well?.

An easy (if you'll pardon the pun) 5/5 from me.

I saw both movie motorcycles at a museum in NY (Motorpedia MC Museum, outstanding). The Billy Bike was lost, so that was a recreation. The history of these movie choppers is pretty controversial.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We had never seen Doctor Zhivago. The first hour was a little tough, but I can see why it received the accolades/awards. (Although apparently critics were tough on it at the time of release).
Guess I'll have to read the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.