PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
I've just re-watched Face from 1997. It's a film set in London about a gang of armed robbers. The cast includes Ray Winstone, Robert Carlyle, Lena Headey and Damon Albarn from Blur and Gorillaz in his first acting role. Its got a great soundtrack with The Clash and Billy Bragg on there.

I liked it as much as I did when I first saw it 24 years ago and I give it a solid 4/5

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
News of The World, read the book, Paulette Jilles, great book, movie with Tom Hanks, didn’t stray from the book much, but really couldn’t fit in all the interesting parts of the book or it would have been a 3 or 4 hr movie. Too much Tom Hanks and not enough of the little kidnapped German girl.9 stars.

I resisted... because I was not a Karate Kid fan. But, we finally watched everything else till we were left with either watching Cobra Kai or rewatching Northern Exposure for the 27th time.
But, wow! It is so much better now that it has come out that, that little Daniel putz was a troubled youth with anger issues. Fuck Myogi and his enabling that little boy to torment poor little Johnny and his friends.
Cobra Kai rocks!! Long live Cobra Kai!!!
5 outa 5 stars!
1611085263738.png

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I resisted... because I was not a Karate Kid fan. But, we finally watched everything else till we were left with either watching Cobra Kai or rewatching Northern Exposure for the 27th time.
But, wow! It is so much better now that it has come out that, that little Daniel putz was a troubled youth with anger issues. Fuck Myogi and his enabling that little boy to torment poor little Johnny and his friends.
Cobra Kai rocks!! Long live Cobra Kai!!!
5 outa 5 stars!
Ha... I started to watch it last year out of boredom and it was surprisingly good, BUT, it jumped the shark on season 3... It’s so bad I don’t think I can finish it.

Reactions: Devil Anse

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A couple of nights ago I watched the documentary "California Typewriter" for free on Vudu. I rate it 3/5.

From IMDb - California Typewriter is a story about people whose lives are connected by typewriters. The film is a meditation on creativity and technology featuring Tom Hanks, John Mayer, Sam Shepard, David McCullough and others.

Sounds wacky, a documentary about typewriters. I actually enjoyed it.

1611088484187.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nil By Mouth from 1997. Gary Oldman wrote and directed this dark and gritty film which stars the always excellent Ray Winstone.

Some might find the London accents & slang a little difficult to understand but it's well worth persevering with.

5/5
I love those guys. I had not heard of this film. The trailer is not giving any spoilers away...not anything else.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
The Frankenstein Chronicles - Netflix
Touches a little on Mary Shelly's Frankenstein story but the show is it's own story. I don't think the bloody scenes are too over the top. My wife doesn't like blood plus I don't think she finds the storyline or characters very interesting. I enjoy the show very much. For me: 5/5

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018
England
Netflix UK just uploaded Easy Rider so I watched it again.

Brilliant movie that Fonda and Hopper wrote, directed and stared in. The opening where they're riding their bikes to the sound of 'Born To Be Wild' has got to be one of the iconic moments in American cinema.

Peter Fonda's character Wyatt is just so cool. From his look, his clothes, his bike, the way he talks, all of it. Just so damn cool?.
Special shout out for the soundtrack as well?.

An easy (if you'll pardon the pun) 5/5 from me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Totally agree, Chris. I re-watched it a couple of months ago, and also go 5/5.

----------
It's not as dated as the age of the flick would suggest.
(Thats a rider to the main reply....)
Netflix UK just uploaded Easy Rider so I watched it again.

Brilliant movie that Fonda and Hopper wrote, directed and stared in. The opening where they're riding their bikes to the sound of 'Born To Be Wild' has got to be one of the iconic moments in American cinema.

Peter Fonda's character Wyatt is just so cool. From his look, his clothes, his bike, the way he talks, all of it. Just so damn cool?.
Special shout out for the soundtrack as well?.

An easy (if you'll pardon the pun) 5/5 from me.

Nov 10, 2020
Petersburg, VA
Most recently my wife and I watched this really interesting movie called "The Ballad of Narayama" (1958). It's a highly-stylized Japanese movie about a village where, upon reaching the age of 70, the elders are carried by their oldest son to the top of a mountain and abandoned. The filming techniques are the most interesting part, though, as there are painted backdrops, moving sets (at one point a floor is literally rotated on-screen to setup a different setting, in another a curtain backdrop is dropped to reveal another equally staged backdrop that the next scene is performed on), a narrator-poet that sings narration in scenes, and really crazy lighting. I'd have thought it was a 70s art film if it wasn't labelled as 58'.82995daed1a77c02f2d8ae30abbfc158.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.