PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Frozen 2. It’s not quite as good as it was the 974th time, but I don’t have much say in the matter...
I enjoyed both 1&2. Repeatedly. Even all the short stories they spawned are great. (The one with Olaf trying to establish a tradition is especially funny. "Breaking and entering, okay on Christmas". How do you not laugh at that!)

A surprise excellent movie is Soul.

I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than my daughter did.

Reactions: BarrelProof
We just finished watching The Paradise. It is a BBC series, and you can find it on Amazon Prime. I give it a 4/5. It started off really great, a rags to riches story of a woman in England's first departments store. Then, by second season, it gets a little too romance based for my tastes, but character development, multiple plots intertwined, and great costumes. It could have had a little more pipesmoking, but David Hayman's character, Jonas, was enough to keep me intrigued.

Amazon.com: The Paradise: Season 1: Various, Various: Movies & TV

Reactions: marconi and jpmcwjr

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
We just finished “Sound of Metal” on Amazon Prime. Absolutely phenomenal film, especially if you have family/friends in the deaf community. I usually don’t put too much weight into film awards or critics, but this film deserves all the praise it receives.F419157E-F5BD-408E-9E44-110EAFB61FE7.jpeg

Reactions: autumnfog and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
We just finished “Sound of Metal” on Amazon Prime. Absolutely phenomenal film, especially if you have family/friends in the deaf community. I usually don’t put too much weight into film awards or critic, but this film deserves all the praise it receives.
Thanks for the review. I just noticed it on Prime while recently watching Led Zepplin and CS&N documentaries. I plan to watch it tonight ?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Versailles on Netflix. Three seasons (30 episodes). We're almost done with season two. I rate it 5/5.

SDC_2387857_2018-21-9--00-16-03.jpg
In 1667, 28-year-old all-powerful king of France, Louis XIV, decides to build the greatest palace in the world - Versailles. But drained budget, affairs and political intrigues complicate things.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched a documentary on YouTube about actor Joe Spinell.

His name might not ring a bell but if you watched any movies from the 70's & 80's then his face definitely would. Probably his most recognisable role was playing "Tony Gazzo" Rocky's mobster boss/friend in the first two movies.

He led an amazing life and there are plenty of interesting anecdotes from his pals/fellow actors.
He was a big help to Sylvester Stallone when he was struggling to make it and Sly cast him in many of his movies.
This isn't in the documentary but I saw an online Q&A Stallone did about 15 years ago where somebody asked him if it was true that he blacked out the windows of his apartment when he was writing Rocky. Apparently it was. Sly said he did it so there'd be no distractions while he wrote, he wouldn't look out the window and think "lovely day, maybe I'll go for a walk."

Anyway, it's a great documentary on a brilliant actor.

Link:

Reactions: autumnfog
I'm watching our famous weatherman, James Spann. When he takes his jacket off, we might get some property damage. When he takes his tie off and starts sweating, people's lives are in danger. When he rolls up his sleeves, kiss your ass goodbye.
1615991888988.png
I give it a 3 out of 10 for entertainment, 10 out of 10 for importance, and the tornados are ranking a 9 out of 10 on the TorCon.

Versailles on Netflix. Three seasons (30 episodes). We're almost done with season two. I rate it 5/5.

View attachment 70894
In 1667, 28-year-old all-powerful king of France, Louis XIV, decides to build the greatest palace in the world - Versailles. But drained budget, affairs and political intrigues complicate things.
We tried watching this, and I really want to give it another go. But, it was so hard differentiating the characters because they all looked alike. It made it really hard to follow.

Reactions: scloyd
Jun 9, 2018
England
I recently saw an article about Quentin Tarantino's favourite movies, among them was a film called Sorcerer. I'd never heard of it so I looked up if it was available to stream and found somebody had uploaded it to YouTube.

It was directed by William Friedkin and stars Roy Scheider. The story revolves around 4 desperate men who have to drive trucks full of unstable nitroglycerin across 200 miles of South American jungle.

I really enjoyed it and give it 4/5

Link:

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.