PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Turning Point 9/11 And The War On Terror

It's a new documentary series from Netflix about the events that led up to 9/11 and then the war in Afghanistan.
Like most Netflix documentaries i've seen it was really well done and I give it 5/5.

Trailer:

Reactions: Gus and STP
Jun 9, 2018
England
Watched "United 93" again.

Great movie about the heroic crew & passengers who fought back against the scumbag terrorists and stopped them reaching their target. We'll never know how many lives they saved.
5/5

RIP to all the people murdered on 9/11?.

Reactions: Gus

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just stated watching "See" a post-apocalyptic tv show. One episode in, its pretty good - 4/5 so far. This is Season 1, a 2nd season just launched apparently - so no spoilers!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This film was mediocre, perhaps because I had read the book, which was great
I agree, one of the great series of the history for me.

Today I saw "Savages" by Oliver Stone, for me it's not more than a 3/5...if you want to have a good fun time with action.

View attachment 85237

The story has nothing new or special, some touches of sour humor, to highlight for me Benicio del Toro, as always very good in his role as the villain. The direction at the height of Oliver Stone, although it is not one of his best, far from it.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Just watched the great movie Pleasantville.

It's about the importance of balance. It focuses on the opposites of order and beauty. These are each great, necessary ideals. But when not held in balance, when one of the pair is prioritized over the other, you get either stifling conformity--represented by 50s TV show life in the town of Pleasantville--or degenerate decadence--represented by late 90s teen life. The movie is admirable in refusing to bash or exalt either kind of society/ideal. It's a movie that preaches common sense.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Just watched Lynyrd Skynyrd, If I Leave Here Tomorrow, on Netflix. It originally aired on CMT a couple years ago. I like music documentaries, and this is one of the better ones… 4/5

47D5BC77-B4D0-4D43-A6B1-DBB7D90A50CA.jpeg

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Channel surfing and stumbled upon the Big Lebowski airing/streaming on Showtime. I’ve seen it several times, and own the DVD, but it’s been a while... One of my favorites! If you haven’t seen it, check it out for some laughs. 5/5??

C6EACBF9-76A6-4EF6-86E7-068B7A54A2DD.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Last night I watched the first two episodes of the Perry Mason series on HBOmax starring Matthew Rhys. I'm enjoying it so far, I rate it 4/5.
1631709633264.png
The series focuses on the origin story of famed defense lawyer Perry Mason. In 1932, Los Angeles is prospering while the rest of the U.S. is recovering from the grip of the Great Depression. Down-and-out private investigator Perry Mason is struggling with his trauma from The Great War and being divorced.

We just finished the first season of Peaky Blinders.
1631711371797.png
It is a slow start. If the BBC could cast really different looking characters or at least costume them differently enough... and how about having them speak English, ha ha. It is really confusing for us to keep up with the different characters. And, what the hell are they saying? We did finally start putting the story together by the fourth episode, and by the last one, I think we could figure out who was who.
Why do they keep mentioning Athenians, when referring to the Irish?
And, what was that noise the barmaid was making? Was that :::cough cough::: singing? Of course everyone in the bar turned to look at her, they were probably wondering what the hell was wrong with her.
I did finally figure out that when the said Eye-ahhh- aigh that they meant IRA.
A bunch of other stuff was said, people were butchered, and the one nice guy seemed to be a cop, but we may or may not watch season 2. I wish we knew how to turn on subtitles. These foreign films are really difficult.
2/5 stars... at least there was some violence. If they worked in more sex and nudity, I would have rated it higher.

• Haha
Reactions: Tar Wheel

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
View attachment 97705
It is a slow start. If the BBC could cast really different looking characters or at least costume them differently enough... and how about having them speak English, ha ha. It is really confusing for us to keep up with the different characters. And, what the hell are they saying? We did finally start putting the story together by the fourth episode, and by the last one, I think we could figure out who was who.
And, what was that noise the barmaid was making? Was that :::cough cough::: singing? Of course everyone in the bar turned to look at her, they were probably wondering what the hell was wrong with her.
A bunch of other stuff was said, people were butchered, and the one nice guy seemed to be a cop, but we may or may not watch season 2. I wish we knew how to turn on subtitles. These foreign films are really difficult.
2/5 stars... at least there was some violence. If they worked in more sex and nudity, I would have rated it higher.
I've heard these same comments from others who've watched Peaky Blinders. I wanted to watch it, probably won't. I had the same issues with "Versaille"...everyone looked alike and it took some time to figure out who everyone was. I made it through the whole series and I did enjoy it.

I've heard these same comments from others who've watched Peaky Blinders. I wanted to watch it, probably won't. I had the same issues with "Versaille"...everyone looked alike and it took some time to figure out who everyone was. I made it through the whole series and I did enjoy it.
It does feel weird to criticize the English on not enunciating, but to be fair, an Englishman might have a hard time understanding a movie about the South, ha ha.

I had the same problem with Versaille. The same costume for everyone was a bad idea. IMO. We never finished it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I'm watching for the umpteenth time Prairie Home Companion featuring Garrison Keillor. Meryl Streep, Virginia Madsen, Lily Tomlin, Woody Harrelson, John C. Reilly, Kevin Kline, Maya Randolph, Lindsey Lohan, and a horribly miscast Tommy Lee Jones. Simply a great movie with wonderful music.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
View attachment 97705
I was laughing while reading this. We experienced the same thing. Halfway through the first episode, I looked at my wife and asked,” Do you understand anything that’s coming out of their mouths”?!? She laughed and said,” I’m glad you said something, because I’m clueless”. We stopped it, enabled the subtitles, and restarted it.

It‘s not bad, once you can understand what the hell they‘re saying. I just hate watching with subtitles because I feel like I’m missing things on screen while I’m trying to read what they’re saying.

I was laughing while reading this. We experienced the same thing. Halfway through the first episode, I looked at my wife and asked,” Do you understand anything that’s coming out of their mouths”?!? She laughed and said,” I’m glad you said something, because I’m clueless”. We stopped it, enabled the subtitles, and restarted it.

It‘s not bad, once you can understand what the hell they‘re saying. I just hate watching with subtitles because I feel like I’m missing things on screen while I’m trying to read what they’re saying.
Last night we rewatched the first few episodes with subtitles on. It was much better, but Mrs Cosmic and I kept saying, "their words don't match their words."
And, I soon realized when they said "Athenians," they were really saying "Fenians," which I had to google anyways. It was a slang word for Irish people.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
I just stated watching "See" a post-apocalyptic tv show. One episode in, its pretty good - 4/5 so far. This is Season 1, a 2nd season just launched apparently - so no spoilers!

Just started watching this. Some spectacular fight scenes.

Reactions: Tar Wheel
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched the new Netflix documentary "Schumacher"

There are many people interviewed including Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen, Sebastian Vettel, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt and Bernie Eccleston as well as all of Michael's family including his dad.
The best bits for me were the audio of Michael talking from previous interviews.

4/5

Reactions: STP
Status
Not open for further replies.