PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have had a 250g box of SG Kendal Cream in my cart for a few days and decided before I ordered it to check my cellar. I have a bunch of aged SG from years ago and found a jar of 250 grams from 2013. This is an outstanding blend that doesn’t get talked about. Sweet, sort of creamy and very smooth with a touch of Lakeland. If you want to dip your toes into Lakeland blends this is the perfect introduction. It’s not fussy like FVF and is a very mild smoke, but has tons of flavor.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Low Country Natural Virginia & Oriental in a medium bend 2000 thin stem sandblasted black silver spigot Ardor Urano Sherlock Holmes #68/100 D.R. briar calabash with a smooth flared top and a black acrylic stem. Haven't smoked this pipe, or the last one in quite a while. Sometimes, it's easy to neglect a good pipe.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That Jack Knife is some great stuff, but I’d decided to dial down a bit for a followup while I rummaged through the cabinet.

Among some older jars I found what I labeled to be Dunhill Flake. It’s not the last tin I popped and jarred. I’m not sure how old it is (probably from a 2011 or 2012 purchase) or when I jarred it (it had to be before 2015, when I was still using these jars). It’s a lot darker than a new tin of Flake had been, but when I popped the jar, I became nearly overwhelmed by an exaggerated version of that familiar fruitiness. It was enough to guide my decision to smoke as it was, rubbed out but without drying.

Giving the 86 Flame Grain a break, I chose this poor-looking specimen of a Peterson Deluxe Sandblasted 8s:

98A86C9B-9BCF-426F-8EE9-682BF4F7B4A7.jpeg

The strummel has always appeared overblasted to me, looking something like one of Fred Flintstones‘s brontosaurus steaks left on the grill too long, and the acrylic stem looks like it was meant for a slightly larger pipe (I’m still of the opinion that Deluxe System Pipes should have vulcanite stems). My warped sense of humor motivated me to buy it when I did.

Looks can be deceiving, though. This pipe’s been a terrific smoker right from the beginning, and it’s a light, comfortable clencher/dangler, perfect for road trip smoking.

I’ve only just started, but it’s already promising to be a great smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.