PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Good Morning, Gang!

Now Smoking: Pre-Dominican Prince Albert, in a 5.3" Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series XL23 LeStrade model, smooth apple with sterling sliver band, fully bent Vulcanite stem, and P-Lip button.

This pipe is still very new and still under the breaking-in stage; and, still gurgling away madly.

I have no doubt that once sufficient cake has begun to build this will subside completely. My Peterson Ashford '68 also began it's tenure here as a very noisy gurgler.... and after settling-in, has never made a peep since.

In the meantime, a quick mid-smoke poke with a pipe cleaner remedies the noisy situation at this stage.

While a PA loyalist, this is cake-building operation is really properly a job for Cater Hall, of which I have none on hand at this time.

I have no fear that the LeStrade Pete will sort itself out in due time - like others in my rotation, which started off on the cranky side - and end up a very fine and noise-free smoker.

Time will tell. - Sherm Natman

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Good Morning, Gang!

Now Smoking: Pre-Dominican Prince Albert, in a 5.3" Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series XL23 LeStrade model, smooth apple with sterling sliver band, fully bent Vulcanite stem, and P-Lip button.

This pipe is still very new and still under the breaking-in stage; and, still gurgling away madly.

I have no doubt that once sufficient cake has begun to build this will subside completely. My Peterson Ashford '68 also began it's tenure here as a very noisy gurgler.... and after settling-in, has never made a peep since.

In the meantime, a quick mid-smoke poke with a pipe cleaner remedies the noisy situation at this stage.

While a PA loyalist, this is cake-building operation is really properly a job for Cater Hall, of which I have none on hand at this time.

I have no fear that the LeStrade Pete will sort itself out in due time - like others in my rotation, which started off on the cranky side - and end up a very fine and noise-free smoker.

Time will tell. - Sherm Natman
@shermnatman what is it about Carter hall that makes it your preferred break in blend?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
@shermnatman what is it about Carter hall that makes it your preferred break in blend?

I have found CH - in my own personal experience - to be a much faster cake-builder than Prince Albert, which is also made by Middleton - interestingly enough.

Why this is so and what is different about CH, I have no clue; other than, in my experience CH is great thing to break a pipe in fast with. - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.