***What Are You Smoking *** (August 2014)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I've recently finished my first ever pipe smoke session. It went well. Yet I've nothing much to compare.

I smoked some Captain Black (white), that I gather from reading other threads is abbreviated CBW, hope I got it correct.
I smoked my CBW in a new Dr. Grabow Freehand I bought today at a local smoke shop. The shop is not special by any means. It could be a drug front for all I know! Yet they had everything I felt I needed for a first smoke. Pipe, bacci, and tamper I bought under $45. They gave me pipe cleaners and a box of long stick matches for free. Gotta love the simple hospitality!
So I went with the 3 tier pack method with decent results. The top 2/3 burnt fairly fast with some tampers and 4 re-lights. Meaning I probably didn't pack down hard enough. That said I improvised with the tamper and pick tool for the last 3rd. I got great results for the last portion of the bowl!
I used the pick down the center of the cherry the spread it out evenly. Took a couple draws then tampered the bowl. To which I got 15 minutes of great smoke with a couple more tamps with no more re-lights! I enjoyed the work and the experience!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Penzance in a 2002 Ser Jacopo Delecta Fatta A Mano R1 sandblast Rhodesian with a smooth extension at the shank.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 1982 smooth straight Dunhill Root Briar 31051.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Almost finished smoking Jim's Va/Bur #1 in a 2003 smooth Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Baskerville.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of Royal Yacht in a 1970s smooth GBD 9665 slight bend with a rough top flat bottom sitter.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Molto Dulce in a 2002 IMP smooth full bend egg shaped meer.

Status
Not open for further replies.