What Are You Sealing 7mm Mylar Bags With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey all, I thought I would ask what works best to seal up your 7mm Mylar bags with? I’ve recently bought a whole bunch of 7mm Mylar and the heat sealer I was using on my thinner Mylar doesn’t work on this thick stuff.

I was looking at this:

Fuxury 12 Inches Impulse Heat Sealer Machine for Bag Heat Seal Packing, Manual Plastic Bags Sealer for Sealing Foods & Meal, Heat Seal Closer / Packer + 2 Free Replacement Kit (Blue), Using Pure Copper Transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H29YG7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fnRuFbK3EXQZ2

But I thought I’d get more opinions before actually buying something. I’ve heard some use irons or hair straighteners but don’t own either (yet). I need something that will seal 12 inch in width and hopefully something reasonably priced (around the $50 range).

Thanks for your help!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This Kipozi flat iron. I bought it because Jesse mentioned that that was what he was using. No complaints from me. Heats up in seconds.
Thanks, I’ve added that to the wish list as a possibility. How long is the part of the jaws that heat up? Or do you press and slowly move it up and down the edge of the bag? I love this thick Mylar but damn! It’s thick!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Thanks, I’ve added that to the wish list as a possibility. How long is the part of the jaws that heat up? Or do you press and slowly move it up and down the edge of the bag? I love this thick Mylar but damn! It’s thick!
4". You either have to slide it along the edge of the mylar bag or heat the edge in steps. Both ways seem to work equally well. The process is very fast; a few seconds is all you need.

I fold a sheet of aluminum foil over the mylar edge so melted plastic doesn't get on the heating plates. It's easy enough to scrape it away after the plates cool down but it's kinda of a pain to have to do it every time.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My 50-cent garage sale clothes iron works just fine with the 7 mm
May have to do some garage sales this weekend. I’m a heathen for not owning one in the first place but I’m not a suit n’ tie kinda guy so I’ve never felt the need for one. The wrinkles fall out eventually. :LOL:

If there is an occasion that I do need to dress up, the dry cleaners is my go to.

Reactions: trubka2

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
4". You either have to slide it along the edge of the mylar bag or heat the edge in steps. Both ways seem to work equally well. The process is very fast; a few seconds is all you need.

I fold a sheet of aluminum foil over the mylar edge so melted plastic doesn't get on the heating plates. It's easy enough to scrape it away after the plates cool down but it's kinda of a pain to have to do it every time.
Awesome! Thank you for the aluminum foil tip!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I use a 12” impulse sealer like you listed. Works good.
That’s good to know, I was worried that it may not get hot enough to seal this Mylar. In the reviews I could only find someone saying they used it on 5mm Mylar with great success.

Status
Not open for further replies.