PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Whisperer in the Darkness was adapted to a movie that I haven't seen yet.
I haven't seen that one yet either...was just looking it up...looks like it was made by the same guy who made the Call of Cthulhu movie.

Reactions: Zero

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have them both in my Amazon cart right now, lol. I haven't squeezed the trigger. (If you pull the trigger you can throw your shot off)
I've seen the Call of Cthulhu...I thought it was really well done...I'll have to check out this other one too.

Reactions: Zero

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Part of the Furniture Now
Reading now the wonderful (as all others by the same author) book "A Time to Keep Silence" by Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor (1915 - 2011), one of the most important, if not the greatest travel writer of the 20th century. He travelled a lot, also in Greece, where he lived for many years. The book is about his staying and visits at monasteries in France and Cappadocia, Turkey. The mighty "Paddy" mixes up in his unique style information about the life of monks, from his readings of innumerous books, his observation capabilities, conversations with people and travels in so many places... The result: a fascinating and fun to read book!

A Time to Keep Silence.jpg
Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor 1915 – 2011.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just finished Nothing But the Night, a true-crime book taking a fresh look at the 100-year-old Leopold and Loeb case, and am beginning yet another re-read of George Gissing’s New Grub Street, one of my favorite 19th-century novels. Also fitting in a re-read of Alfred Henry Dunhill’s The Gentle Art of Smoking and plugging away at Stephen King’s Needful Things.

Reactions: milk

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Damn good book, but haunting and visceral. There were times I had to take a "break" from the book because of its intensity and depth. I'd love to hear what you think of it when you finish it!
Haunting and visceral is to put it mildly. I've read Blood Meridian several times and still unsure what to make of it, it affected me more than any book I've read.

Reactions: milk

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes. Missionary goes to live with Pirahâ tribe to convert and learn their language that has no words for colors or numbers.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Currently reading through Mike Carey and Peter Gross' comic series, "The Unwritten." It's very enjoyable. It is definitely part of the whole "story about stories" subgenre of dark fantasy, which is like nip to me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My third reread of "The Robber Barons." So much to be learned about some of my favorite Americans ... so little time left. A few of them spanned the continent with iron rails and only used government funds. Never spent a dime of their own moneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.