PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2019
Lower Terrebonne
"The Devil May Dance" by Jake Tapper. Tapper always delivers great insight! His book, "The Outpost" was made into an excellent movie about the war in Afghanistan.

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still working on a massive scholarly work on the Royal Navy, about 88 pages to go, but am listening to Ben Rhodes "After the Fall," about geopolitics, with my wife, as an audio book. After centuries of sail, I'm finally up to submarines with the Royal Navy. On a trip to New England in the eighties, we stayed at a B&B run by a woman and her retired Royal Navy husband who, when I mentioned I'd be in the U.S. Navy, snorted with scorn, in a supposedly humorous way. Of course, the English Navy is entirely career sailors, whereas the Navy I was in was largely people doing their hitch of military service. The Brits are snappy and professional, and I admired their establishment at what was then the British Crown Colony at Hong Kong. But having worked aboard a minesweeper in operations with aircraft carriers, hospital ships, destroyers, oilers, et. al., the U.S. Navy of my era was formidable. We have fewer ships now, but much high tech; we probably need quite a few more.

Reactions: Carol and RonB

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I'm still working on a massive scholarly work on the Royal Navy, about 88 pages to go, but am listening to Ben Rhodes "After the Fall," about geopolitics, with my wife, as an audio book. After centuries of sail, I'm finally up to submarines with the Royal Navy. On a trip to New England in the eighties, we stayed at a B&B run by a woman and her retired Royal Navy husband who, when I mentioned I'd be in the U.S. Navy, snorted with scorn, in a supposedly humorous way. Of course, the English Navy is entirely career sailors, whereas the Navy I was in was largely people doing their hitch of military service. The Brits are snappy and professional, and I admired their establishment at what was then the British Crown Colony at Hong Kong. But having worked aboard a minesweeper in operations with aircraft carriers, hospital ships, destroyers, oilers, et. al., the U.S. Navy of my era was formidable. We have fewer ships now, but much high tech; we probably need quite a few more.
My father was in the Pacific during WWII on a Radar Picket Destroyer. They would hear the British ships docked nearby waking up their sailors with: "Wakey, Wakey, rise and shine, you've had yours and I've had mine. The cook to the galley long has gone, wakey, wakey, rise and shine." The US sailors thought it was hysterical, but of course, he used to sing this to us kids to get us up in the morning. I hated it.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

A love story and a war story...the conflict that arises between the two. Also, the Spanish Civil War really brought to light the evils of fascism before WWII. We forget how many citizens of the world came to Spain for the sole purpose of fighting against fascism.

Another great book, Homage to Catalonia is George Orwell's memoir of doing just that. He took a bullet to the neck and nearly died in fighting there.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Just finished "Revenge of the Lawn" and "Rommel Drives On Deep Into Egypt" by Richard Brautigan. Now on "Women" by Charles Bukowski. Both are favorite writers with interesting views on fiction and non-fiction.

Reactions: autumnfog

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just started this military thriller.

1623585152651.jpeg

Working thru this as well. It might be a bit too detailed, regarding Starz (chronicles Kiss, Aerosmith and Starz, Cheap Trick).
1623585172220.png
This was a great summer read, a mystery with a surfing storyline.

1623585151907.pngan

Attachments

• 1623584903892.png
    1623584903892.png
    802.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1623585172628.jpeg
    1623585172628.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Gus
Status
Not open for further replies.