PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Gentlemen a question. I don't pretend to under stand the mind of men. Help me figure out why a man would bid $150.00 for a used pipe you can buy new for $89.00 . I know I'm not the brightest apple in the barrel. I just can't understand why. Please help.

Deety

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Gentlemen a question. I don't pretend to under stand the mind of men. Help me figure out why a man would bid $150.00 for a used pipe you can buy new for $89.00 . I know I'm not the brightest apple in the barrel. I just can't understand why. Please help.

Deety
Sometimes people don't do research and don't know they can get it cheaper. Sometimes a product may bear the same model number, but, someone wants an earlier release of that model from a different year or decade.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Deety
perhaps the exact example could be clarifying. Just as you say it seems a foolish action

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It was a savinelli roma 673

Deety
Forgive the low quality pic (I'm not at my computer). Below is a Savinelli 514 Bulldog. It's a shape I enjoy smoking quite a bit. It has a good sized chamber and a long shank. This is a regular edition I got used for about 36 bucks.

s-l140.jpg

Below is a higher grade Punto Oro that was about 3X that price.

IMG_20220402_185649.jpg

Below is Giubileo d'Oro version with beautiful, tiny, tight, Birdseye grain that was almost 3X the price of the previous pipe.

IMG_20220211_135235.jpg

They're all the same model, but, three different grades of quality, and priced differently because of that.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
It was identified in the description as a roma 673
I have 4 673s different models. Ranging from $120 and up. I think I would like a roma. I found one new for $85. Just haven't completely made up my mind yet.

Deety

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It was identified in the description as a roma 673
I have 4 673s different models. Ranging from $120 and up. I think I would like a roma. I found one new for $85. Just haven't completely made up my mind yet.

Deety
I was wondering if you'll be able to replace each of the pipes that were stolen, or if there were truly unique ones that you'll never get close to matching. A post of yours the other day seemed to indicate that you've replaced some recently.

To keep this on topic, like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, when I'm smoking, I usually read this forum. Much of my regular reading is on the subway, so no smoking there.

Reactions: edger

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
My current 673 are all new. I had 7 that were among the stolen. I love the 673 they smoke great ,feel good in the hand, and don't seem to get as hot as others. I also like the 320s. Just can't afford any more new pipes for a while.
Right now reading the armies of daylight. By Barbara Hambly . Smoking Edward G Robertson

Deety

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
My current 673 are all new. I had 7 that were among the stolen. I love the 673 they smoke great ,feel good in the hand, and don't seem to get as hot as others. I also like the 320s. Just can't afford any more new pipes for a while.
Right now reading the armies of daylight. By Barbara Hambly . Smoking Edward G Robertson

Deety
Well, just as you like it enough to have the same pipe 7 times, someone else may like it enough to pay 150 for a given pipe.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
It's a possibility. Maybe my understanding of pipes is wrong. I thought all oceana would be the same as with the dolmityes would be the same. And every version would be the same Please forgive my spelling. I never was a very good speller.

Deety

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Grain will be unique for each pipe because of the organic nature of wood. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 321 Bacca with extraordinary grain. It would've been worth paying the twenty bucks extra than SPC has of that model with less interesting grain.

Maybe they didn't know it could be gotten cheaper, or they live in a different country and postage would've cost even more.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
That's why I like smooth pipes. It's most likely me but I can't see the grain on rustic or sand blasted pipes

Deety

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I also prefer smooth pipes because of the grain. I get it with some sandblasts (the patterns can be very cool), but more often than not, those with dark finishes obscure too much; I almost feel like they're hiding flaws.

I'm starting to seek out Savinelli Capri pipes because I like the weird knobby texture.

Still reading the forum.

Reactions: D.T.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I tend to read on my patio while smoking, usually later in the evening until it's to dark. I'm reading a few books at the moment, like blends, it depends on my mood. Recently it's been Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer or Vivian Maier: A Photographer's Life and Afterlife by Pamela Bannos. However, this evening is John Steinbeck's The Log from the Sea of Cortez. I've been watching the restoration of the Western Flyer (the boat that Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts chartered for this adventure) on YouTube. Tonight I'm smoking Briarworks Back Down South in my Michal Novak estate billiard. I love this little pipe with it's flare on the shank as it reminds me of the wood grips on the Thompson Center and High Standard I inherited from my father.

• Love
Reactions: edger
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I read for pleasure until graduate school killed the enjoyment.

A few years later, reading became enjoyable again and I would read 1 to 2 books a week.

Currently, I just read on weekend mornings before the household gets up while enjoying a pipe.

Recently, I read the Chronicles of Narnia series in chronological order (I think I preferred the released order). Currently, I'm reading The Power of One, a favorite book and movie involving nature, boxing, the apartheid, and life lessons. If you don't have time for the book, the movie is excellent and has Morgan Freeman ,amongst a few others.

Reactions: DTXHobbit
Status
Not open for further replies.