New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Going to have Ardbeg An Oa that came in special packaging—the BBQ Smoker (it comes with a little smoker!)

View attachment 172414
Please elaborate on the smoker.

I've heard of smoked drinks. I've also seen a bar presentation of a smoked bourbon where they lit a device next to a glass of bourbon and covered both with a large glass "dome" for one minute.

Me, I prefer smoking tobacco and meat/fish. The peat flavor in scotch and some bourbon is nice. Too much is overkill. The drink I described above was too smokey for the drinker, which turned me off from trying it, but the presentation was excellent.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Please elaborate on the smoker.

I've heard of smoked drinks. I've also seen a bar presentation of a smoked bourbon where they lit a device next to a glass of bourbon and covered both with a large glass "dome" for one minute.

Me, I prefer smoking tobacco and meat/fish. The peat flavor in scotch and some bourbon is nice. Too much is overkill. The drink I described above was too smokey for the drinker, which turned me off from trying it, but the presentation was excellent.
It's a little metal cage (between the two Glencairn glasses) included in the whisky packaging to use with a barbecue. It's sitting on a silver coloured plastic insert.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What do those Glencairn lids accomplish?
They help collect the vapours for better nosing. About five minutes with the lid on after the initial pour gathers enough to get a nice introduction to the spirit before sipping. The lids work on the regular sized Glencairn as well as the Wee versions (it sits on the outside of the rim of the smaller glasses). The lids make a nice difference if you really want to get into all of the things going on in a dram. About thirteen years ago, I used the lenses on my Copitas/dock glasses, but, friends often knocked them off because there was nothing to hold them in place—I’ve since switched to the ginger lids for all of my Glencairn Copitas and regular Glencairn glasses. I almost wish they made coloured ginger lids to match the blind tasting sets.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I've always loved craft beers. Founders is consistently a company that brings out well-made and bold brews. This particular one emulates a cocktail but in an ale form, and is quite tasty, if just a little sweet. I find a nice beer and a good burley blend just always hits the spot for me, though I am usually more discerning when pairing the leaf and the grain. Still, a night with these was a night not wasted:

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_203210568_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220918_203210568_HDR.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
They help collect the vapours for better nosing. About five minutes with the lid on after the initial pour gathers enough to get a nice introduction to the spirit before sipping. The lids work on the regular sized Glencairn as well as the Wee versions (it sits on the outside of the rim of the smaller glasses). The lids make a nice difference if you really want to get into all of the things going on in a dram. About thirteen years ago, I used the lenses on my Copitas/dock glasses, but, friends often knocked them off because there was nothing to hold them in place—I’ve since switched to the ginger lids for all of my Glencairn Copitas and regular Glencairn glasses. I almost wish they made coloured ginger lids to match the blind tasting sets.
Cool. I don't have any of the Wee ones, nor a set of Copitas. My Christmas list is filling up.