What are You Drinking? July 2022

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

…even if dry, after a few glasses i mostly taste honey.
This is what I love about a pure honey mead. I can oak it and get something that taste like honey bourbon, but is totally dry to an 18-20%. This also makes it dangerous. Two glasses and my wife has to drag me out of the bushes naked, ha ha.

Home Brewing Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Go for it, it’s easy! Go light on the spices as they can ruin things very fast and the only thing you can do is leave it sitting for years hoping it will age out to some extent.

This is sour cherry mead, i used the cherries in primary, which means their flavour barely comes through, but this was made with a powerful commercial yeast and I was diligent about the process, so I know this is 18% ABV, quite strong!

Edit: at bottling time this was undrinkable, medicinal and overall awful, 1.5 years sitting worked its magic again, though it will benefit from more aging.

View attachment 159979
When I made a cherry mead, I added them in secondary. Lanes Very Cherry in a bottle, but good. That looks awesome!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
When I made a cherry mead, I added them in secondary. Lanes Very Cherry in a bottle, but good. That looks awesome!
I saw your beer thread, when i first thought to brew I was going for beer, but then realised it is too involved for me, so i went for meads and never looked back.

I have also bought a tiny (15L) pot still and distilled some bochet, was hands down the best drink I EVER had, but distilling mead is crazy expensive and you lose something drinkable and enjoyable.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A few dry weeks then a bit of a drought-breaker when a mate dropped over this afternoon.

View attachment 160104
I’m envious of the Madeira. I gave a bottle of D’Oliveiras Malvasia 1907 to some friends as a wedding present some years back which they promptly shared with me. It was delicious. Unfortunately, the going rate has more than doubled in the intervening years, making it a bit out of reach now.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m envious of the Madeira. I gave a bottle of D’Oliveiras Malvasia 1907 to some friends as a wedding present some years back which they promptly shared with me. It was delicious. Unfortunately, the going rate has more than doubled in the intervening years, making it a bit out of reach now.
Are the current prices demand-driven ? Or opportunistic ?

Prices of the old Madeiras and port have skyrocketed in the past few years.
Eye-popping prices are asked for pre-1920 vintages.
I wonder where the demand is coming from.
I haven't noticed any increase in consumption amongst my wine groups, apart from one or two of my friends.

Most likely the producers have raised their prices because of the insane prices currently fetched by 1st Growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru Burgundies

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Are the current prices demand-driven ? Or opportunistic ?

Prices of the old Madeiras and port have skyrocketed in the past few years.
Eye-popping prices are asked for pre-1920 vintages.
I wonder where the demand is coming from.
I haven't noticed any increase in consumption amongst my wine groups, apart from one or two of my friends.

Most likely the producers have raised their prices because of the insane prices currently fetched by 1st Growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru Burgundies
I think the answer is a bit of both. Supply and demand is at work, along with companies being opportunistic. There is a dwindling supply of vintage Madeira and Port. Certainly no more vintage 1907s will be bottled (perhaps, late bottled is a possibility)—the bottle I gifted means one less is out there; the one your friend brought over is another out of circulation. Clearly, there are people purchasing them.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Good afternoon guys. After lunch, a glass of Torres 10 brandy and a long black coffee. Can you help me to choose a bottle of whisky that is worth the money, that is a good whisky. I don't understand whisky. In the commercial center that I have very close to home, there is a great variety. Thank you guys.
Scotch, Bourbon, Irish, Rye?
Evan Williams White Label botted in bond is an excellent Bourbon and a good value.
Jack Daniels was good enough for Francis Albert Sinatra in Las Vegas during the 50's and 60's (an interesting story!) and apparently John Steinbeck's cronies on Cannery Row in Monterey.
For a blended Scotch, Dewar's was the star of Whisky Galore, which should be required reading in any case.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Scotch, Bourbon, Irish, Rye?
Evan Williams White Label botted in bond is an excellent Bourbon and a good value.
Jack Daniels was good enough for Francis Albert Sinatra in Las Vegas during the 50's and 60's (an interesting story!) and apparently John Steinbeck's cronies on Cannery Row in Monterey.
"Whatever gets you through the night, whether it be a prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." - The Chairman of the Board, Frank Sinatra.

Reactions: beefeater33