musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Care to share the broth recipe?
Sure!

5 pds of beef bones
2 pds of a good tough cut such as brisket or chuck
2 (3 inch) pieces of ginger, cut in half lengthwise and charred over an open flame
2 onions, peeled and charred over an open flame
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
10 whole star anise, lightly toasted
10 whole cloves, lightly toasted
2 pieces of cinnamon, lightly toasted
10 coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1 Tbsp sea salt
Noodles (Pho or Bun noodles are best)
1/3 pd sirloin or eye of round, lightly frozen and sliced paper thin against the grain

1. In a large stockpot, bring 6 qts of water to a simmer. In a second stockpot, place the beef bones and brisket and cover with water. Bring to a vigorous boil for 5 minutes, then take the bones and brisket out with tongs, rinse them, and place them in the first stockpot. Discard the water from the second stockpot (parboiling the bones first cleans out impurities and fat, and will lead to a clearer, cleaner broth). Bring the water back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Skim the surface often to remove foam and fat.
2. Add ginger, onions, fish sauce, and sugar and simmer for about 40 minutes, then add the toasted spices. Simmer for at least another 90 minutes (I started it in the afternoon, so I simmered it another 3-4 hrs). When you are ready to serve, remove the beef bones. Remove the brisket and slice it. Then, strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer. Bring it back to a simmer, skim any remaining fat off the top, and add the salt. The broth should taste a little on the salty side as the remaining ingredients (beef, noodles, herbs, etc.) will help balance it out.
3. In the meantime, prepare your choice of noodles as directed by the package.
4. To serve, place a serving of noodles in a bowl, place a few slices of both the cooked meat and the raw meat on top of the noodles, then pour boiling broth over all. Garnish with yellow onion, cilantro, bean sprouts, Thai basil, chili peppers, and lime wedges. I like mine with a little bit of hoisin sauce as well.

Reactions: BarrelProof
Tonight, I am cooking my Black Stag Stew. It is a venison stew that starts with about a quarter pound of dried ancho peppers that I rehydrate and then purée down into a thick spicy but yet raisin-y flavored sauce to simmer the venison and onions in till it all just falls apart. Then I add the veggies to continue to cook, potatoes, carrots, corn, etc... It's a favorite around my house.

Serve over a chunk of cornbread... mmmmmm...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Sure!

5 pds of beef bones
2 pds of a good tough cut such as brisket or chuck
2 (3 inch) pieces of ginger, cut in half lengthwise and charred over an open flame
2 onions, peeled and charred over an open flame
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
10 whole star anise, lightly toasted
10 whole cloves, lightly toasted
2 pieces of cinnamon, lightly toasted
10 coriander seeds, lightly toasted
1 Tbsp sea salt
Noodles (Pho or Bun noodles are best)
1/3 pd sirloin or eye of round, lightly frozen and sliced paper thin against the grain

1. In a large stockpot, bring 6 qts of water to a simmer. In a second stockpot, place the beef bones and brisket and cover with water. Bring to a vigorous boil for 5 minutes, then take the bones and brisket out with tongs, rinse them, and place them in the first stockpot. Discard the water from the second stockpot (parboiling the bones first cleans out impurities and fat, and will lead to a clearer, cleaner broth). Bring the water back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Skim the surface often to remove foam and fat.
2. Add ginger, onions, fish sauce, and sugar and simmer for about 40 minutes, then add the toasted spices. Simmer for at least another 90 minutes (I started it in the afternoon, so I simmered it another 3-4 hrs). When you are ready to serve, remove the beef bones. Remove the brisket and slice it. Then, strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer. Bring it back to a simmer, skim any remaining fat off the top, and add the salt. The broth should taste a little on the salty side as the remaining ingredients (beef, noodles, herbs, etc.) will help balance it out.
3. In the meantime, prepare your choice of noodles as directed by the package.
4. To serve, place a serving of noodles in a bowl, place a few slices of both the cooked meat and the raw meat on top of the noodles, then pour boiling broth over all. Garnish with yellow onion, cilantro, bean sprouts, Thai basil, chili peppers, and lime wedges. I like mine with a little bit of hoisin sauce as well.

Hoisin is absolutely necessary as is Thai basil and lime wedges.

Sounds good. I’m gonna try it in the next couple of days with some moose or caribou bones.

Reactions: musicman

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I cooked a typical Greek dish, which is quite delicious, simple to make, cheap, and filling: lentil stew.

Cube cut a large onion, drop pieces in a deep pot and sweat on plenty of olive oil.
Drop in 500g lentils, coat all over with the oil
add 500g of grated tomato (canned or fresh)
add enough water to totally submerge the lentils - at least three fingers of water need to be above the lentils
add 1-3 deep spoons of strong mustard and a couple of bay leaves.
add salt to taste
Cook until lentils are nearly liquid - I prefer this to be a think stew, others prefer it to be like a soup.

Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.