PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've been drinking a lot of Drambuie recently too. My wife loves the stuff. I need to pick up a good bottle of blended scotch to make a Rusty Nail.
I just picked up a bottle of Kirland Signature Blended Scotch at Costco to make rusty nails after viewing this thread one to many times. I haven't had Drambuie, or a rusty nail in several years, but I made one (just scotch, Drambuie, and ice) a couple of nights ago and it was delicous. Much better quality than I expected, but YMMV.

They have two KS blended scotches, both 1.75L bottles. The regular is $20 here in KY, and that is the one I purchased, but they also had a 12-year old blended scotch for $40.
A rusty nail was my father's drink (although he didn't drink often or usually more than one or two adult beverages in one sitting after having kids).

I've been meaning to try a rusty nail (and have a little talk with my father since it's been awhile).

Before he passed, my father enjoyed coming into the restaurants I worked at for a VIP treatment. He never got to see that I made it out of the restaurant industry for my choosen profession. Maybe it's time to raise a glass and check in.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My ale for last night was Timothy Taylor's Landlord pale ale (4.1%).

I first had this straight from the barrel at a beer festival in Sheffield back in the early 1980's. It has since then been my all time favourite real ale. It occasionally appeared as a 'guest ale' at my preferred Falmouth pub the 'Star & Garter' and it was always a delight to enjoy there

The bottled version is very good, but not a patch on the stuff in the barrel.

1 tt.jpg

Bottom's up,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I struggled through another beer that my supermarket sent me in error :rolleyes:.

It's 'Franziskaner Weissbier' 5% and like most wheat beers from Germany it is a little cloudy. I don't mind that too much (I usually drink from pewter tankards) but it's the taste I'm no huge fan of. It's certainly not nasty, just not delicious though I'm sure some folk absolutely adore the stuff.

1 kraut.jpg
Ein Prost,

Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Last night I struggled through another beer that my supermarket sent me in error :rolleyes:.

It's 'Franziskaner Weissbier' 5% and like most wheat beers from Germany it is a little cloudy. I don't mind that too much (I usually drink from pewter tankards) but it's the taste I'm no huge fan of. It's certainly not nasty, just not delicious though I'm sure some folk absolutely adore the stuff.

View attachment 209609
Ein Prost,

Jay.
quite many do like these Weissbiers, especially in Southern Germany, but I'm not one of them, when it comes to German Beers I personally prefer Helles and hoppy Pilseners, and of course, British Ales ,Bitter Ales and good Ipas are what I do prefer ,also on occasion Dry Stouts and Porters

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
My ale for last night was Timothy Taylor's Landlord pale ale (4.1%).

The bottled version is very good, but not a patch on the stuff in the barrel.

View attachment 209428

Bottom's up,

Jay.
Couldn’t agree with you more there jay, a foaming pint of Timmy’s is a wonderful thing. Only know two places that have it on tap though. The Blue Boar in Hay on Wye or The Bull in Towcester. Like you, I’m forced to drink it out of a bottle! Lol

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Couldn’t agree with you more there jay, a foaming pint of Timmy’s is a wonderful thing. Only know two places that have it on tap though. The Blue Boar in Hay on Wye or The Bull in Towcester. Like you, I’m forced to drink it out of a bottle! Lol
Always wanted to visit Hay on Wye....not for the ale but the famous book festival :).

Regards,

Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Always wanted to visit Hay on Wye....not for the ale but the famous book festival :).

Regards,

Jay.
Worked at the festival there for ten years or more. It was better when it was in the town, more relaxed and friendly. Outgrown itself a bit now. Bus loads of yuppies from London and Brighton. If you can imagine a field full of vegans, eco warriors & woke wankers.... That's what it's like now. You'd be better off taking a book to that pub in Falmouth for a day on the landlord.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I keep promising to treat myself to a bottle of La Fee absinthe (68%) but fear that I might like it too much :)

Regards,

Jay.

I like La Fee quite a bit. I've tried a number of absinthes over the years and the buzz from that one is just a little different—there were some visual elements that hint at distortions akin to psilocybin mushrooms—the 68% might have something to do with that.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Please post your thoughts once done. I'm intrigued.
@TheIronMonkey @The Amish Tyrant
I received my oaking bottle this past weekend and I’m swelling it now.
1st experiment will be to see what 24/48 hours in the bottle does to some Kirkland Tennessee Whiskey which I don’t really care for so if it doesn’t work out well it won’t be a great loss. My 2nd experiment will be to try oak aging some London dry gin for cocktails and my third experiment will likely be to try and add a port or sherry finish to a reasonably priced (TBD) bourbon.
I’ll post my thoughts about the results of these experiments when I’m done.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@TheIronMonkey @The Amish Tyrant
I received my oaking bottle this past weekend and I’m swelling it now.
1st experiment will be to see what 24/48 hours in the bottle does to some Kirkland Tennessee Whiskey which I don’t really care for so if it doesn’t work out well it won’t be a great loss. My 2nd experiment will be to try oak aging some London dry gin for cocktails and my third experiment will likely be to try and add a port or sherry finish to a reasonably priced (TBD) bourbon.
I’ll post my thoughts about the results of these experiments when I’m done.

When we did the Evan Williams, there was a significant difference between two days and three days. You may wish to pull some after two to compare, but I suspect three days will be smoother, richer, and fuller (and preferable).

Status
Not open for further replies.