What are the Largest Sized Jars You Use?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I like 1/2 pint jars so I don’t have to much open at once when I’m working smoking it since I only have a bowl or two a day it works for me. I find I get intimidated by opening a pint. I do have a couple of quart jars full of old joe krantz since I bought a pound once and those are what I had on hand. But generally speaking 1/2 pint jars.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have quite a few pint jars with some tobacco I really like and just have stored away with no intention of using any time soon (i.e. a few years). Then I realized in terms of how slowly I go through tobacco which is probably at the world's slowest snail's pace compared to most on here, and my not buying really large quantities of any individual tobacco at a time, that a combination of 1/2 pints and 4 oz. jars actually work better for me, so that's what I use now. A two ounce tin or bag goes nicely into a 4 oz. jar and those are what I draw from primarily with the 8 oz. more of the long term.

Some say the OP stored tobacco, some say he never will . . . . ;) (OP should get this one).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have I think around 4 5pound jars as I don't have space for small glass jars. Most of my other jars are 2 pounders. These jars were expensive, the 5 pounder was like 13 bucks or so. The main reason I also like these jars is they use silicone gaskets. The rubber gaskets on glass jars will deteriorate where that doesn't happen with silicone.

Here are 2 of my 5 pounders. The middle jar and the one to the right are both 5 pounders, the jar on the left is a 2 pounder. It has all the same features as the 5 pounders and most importantly have silicone gaskets.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I should have mentioned I have a few pounds of bulk tobacco to cellar.

I find the white gaskets don’t keep air out nearly as well as the orange rubber gaskets. Are the white ones silicone?

I use the 8oz half pints for the majority of my tobaccos, all of my bulks. Some 4oz jars for stuff that I know that I won't want much of when I open it. But, I do have a few really large jars that I use to put whole pouches in, like Salty Dog and such.

But, I would never fill a whole quart sized jar with tobacco for aging. I would just never be able to finish it before it craps out on me.