PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
There I was on December 23rd, 2011, standing at the top of Rib Mountain, Wausau, Wisconsin. I had just lit my pipe and was puffing on Captain Bob's Blend and contemplating the Black Diamond run that I was about to ski. A gentleman brushed by me and stopped. He said in a Russian accent "Nice pipe, where did you get it?" I said it's my ski pipe, a Butz-Choquin from Iwan Ries in Chicago. He then side stepped closer to me on his ski's and handed me a card. It was Alex Florov! His wife, Vera and their two children were with him.
He asked my name. I said "Bob Coffey (spelling out C-O-F-F-E-Y). But, they call me Captain Bob." Alex responded "Yes, I recognize the name and your blend. I am friends with the Tarler's and Bob and Pam Hayes." I told Alex that I had the greatest respect for his work and while I own 14 Hayes pipes, I would someday like to own one of his pipes.
The moral of this story? Keep your pipe in your mouth. You never know who you may meet because of it!
The conversation continued for several minutes and we were both amazed at the chance encounter on top of a mountain in Wisconsin that has 74 ski runs on it! Had I not had my pipe in my mouth, this chance encounter would not have happened.
This was a special encounter that I shall cherish for a lifetime. When I see Alex at the Chicago Show we will still be amazed at how we met for the first time atop Rib Mountain! I'll add, Alex was on racing ski's and his wife is a ski instructor. They are all excellent skiers and most of all, a beautiful family!
This pic is really scary! This is what I looked like to Alex Florov.

click on pic to enlarge

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
That's so awesome. :D
PS. You haven't considered getting carving skis? :P I could almost mistake those for cross-country skis! (unless they are...)

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Great pic!
and you have more sizable 'nads than yours truly to be skiing a black diamond with a pipe in your teeth. I salute you, captainbob.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well that's just a wonderful story! In these times, especially, we pipe smokers seem to connect with an ineffable understanding. :puffy:

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
I haven't skied in a long time. Looks like you really had a lot of fun.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Well that is a great story, and I think it's the gods telling you it's time to buy one if his pipes.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
jaysin, lonestar, herbinedave, nemrod, zanthal, cortezattic, papipeguy, swilly, steyrshrek, markw4mms and bubblehead33,
Yes, it was a very special moment of two "known" (but unknown to each other) pipesters to meet. I had read all about Alex in the Pipe & Tobacco Magazine feature article not long before this chance meeting. And, yes, steyrshrek, the God's are telling me to buy a pipe from Alex at the Chicago show. I intend to fly down there on May 5th or 6th depending on weather conditions. I always fly, if possible. The Pheasant Run Resort Mega Center is located on the North perimeter of the DuPage County Airport 15 miles west of O'Hare airport. It is about a 1 hour flight. If the weather is not good for flying it means a four to five hour drive! Of course, I will also buy another Bob Hayes pipe there as well and load the airplane up with a big box of C&D tobacco as usual. Florov Pipes are very expensive, so I am concerned that I may be challenged in a way that I really can't afford. We shall see. On the other hand, if you all send me a hundred bucks, it could be the most expensive pipe I ever purchased. I would let each of you smoke it!
nemrod, those are Downhill ski's. However, I did purchase a new pair of Parobolic shaped K2's. It was time to give up the long skinny-sticks for the new stuff!
zanthal, I have a short Butz-Choquin that I smoke when skiing, even on Double-Black Diamond runs. It is my ski pipe. Not expensive and if I were to take a fall, I would let it go from my chops and not be too upset about it. It is pictured below.

click on pic to enlarge

I had 23 days on the slopes of Rib Mountain this season. That is average for me. It is only 100 miles from my home. An easy day trip. If interested, see: www.skigranitepeak.com

The plane that I fly is pictured below.

click on pic to enlarge

Thanks so much for taking an interest in my chance meeting with one of the most famous pipe makers in our World! I enjoyed sharing with you guys, as always. This is such a fun place to be and I am honored to be a member here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.