What Are the Benefits to a Bulldog Shape?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think SnagStangl may be on to something. I only have 2 bulldogs but neither are wide or broad chambers. This is my first I use for shorter smokes. It and the Jacono are both stellar smokers though.
hTgxSH8.jpg

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
I have more than a dozen Custom-bilt bulldogs,rhodesians,bullmoose. I just like how it feels on the hand. They're hefty and looks really heavy but suprisingly light. My favorite pipe,which gets smoked more than once a day, is a Sasieni four dot Hendon. The square shank, tapered bowl is so uncomfortable in the hand it became a great clencher.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm a great fan of bulldogs (but they have to be bent) of which I have several. I have an extra large Blakemar Briars bent bulldog for long lazy smokes.

"My most feminine pipe is named after a son of a monarch."

I've heard it all now John, so you name your pipes? :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like both bent and straight 'dogs. The Stanwell 32, though modest in size, is a straight understated classic. It's visual haiku.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not quite! Think about what the son of a monarch is.... The name of the shape that I think is more feminine than most. Oh, and I don't name my car or private parts, either!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own 2 Bulldogs and both are Willmer AAA Straight Grains. The only reason I own any Bulldogs is because they were part of a collection I bought out. I am a much bigger fan of the Rhodesian for some reason.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have a few Bulldogs. When I smoke em, I find myself holding them sometimes, a little more like one would a dart, which is kinda a neat observation? Because of the diamond shank, your index and thumb feel right at home in that position.

Reactions: Tove

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
With all the bulldog, are there any makers that you all would recommend? I have a birthday coming and would love to get a new pipe.
Also, how are bulldogs different from the Author shape?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Also, how are bulldogs different from the Author shape?"
Let me take a stab at this one Bouwser, Bulldogs are written with a lower case 'b' whereas Authors are written with a capital 'A'?
Do I win the ice cream? :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Bulldogs are a family of pipe shapes that use a double cone shaped bowl, most of the time with a beadline carved where the two cones meet. A purebred bulldog also has a diamond shaped stem. A Rhodesian is a sub species of the bulldog genre that has a rounded stem. Eskimos or ukuleles are also a sub species but with a shorter, wider bowl. In some regions, all are just classified as bulldogs.
An author shape is sub species of the billiard shape. With a squatter bowl to stem swoop that makes it a good sitter for writers to put their pipe down occasionally while working.
I’m sure someone will post some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.